Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I'm surprised this movie was even made!
Yes I am very surprised.
It just goes to show you, the Kennedy Dynasty of Power is Dead!
Quote:TRAILER: Ted Kennedy Derailed In 'CHAPPAQUIDDICK'...
[Image: DRgWJt1XcAAeqr4.jpg]
They say the Untold True Story,,, how much is actually the Truth?
Rumors have been told that Mary Jo Kopechne was pregnant.

Quote:Nearly five decades ago, on July 18, 1969, a car went off the Dike Bridge on the island of Chappaquiddick. The driver, Ted Kennedy escaped. His 28-year-old passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne, did not.

An upcoming movie, Chappaquiddick, attempts to tell the story of what happened that night and why it took Kennedy some ten hours to report the accident to the local Edgartown police — and PEOPLE has the exclusive first trailer and teaser poster!

The film, directed by John Curran, stars Jason Clarke as Senator Kennedy, Kate Mara as Kopechne, and Bruce Dern as Ted’s father Joe Kennedy. It’s based on the 1969 inquest into the accident.

The result is a haunting look back into the mystery that surrounds that night when a group of six women who had worked for Robert F. Kennedy’s presidential bid, and six men, including Ted Kennedy, gathered for a party at a rented cottage on the island for a reunion party and ended in Kopechne’s death by drowning.

Kennedy, who claimed he made a wrong turn and accidentally drove off the bridge late at night, said that he tried to save Kopechne, who was trapped inside the car.

He later pled guilty to the charge of leaving the site of the accident and received a two month sentence and a year probation.
Source
 yes, he got away with Murder.

Quote:Many believe the ensuing scandal cost Kennedy, the youngest son of America’s most famous political dynasty, his chance at the Presidency and that he could never shake the many questions that remained about what really happened that night.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
He really was a dirt bag.
(12-22-2017, 10:13 AM)727Sky Wrote: He really was a dirt bag.

I concur, Mr. Sky.

Here's Wikipedia's narration.

Quote:'...At 10 a.m., Kennedy entered the police station in Edgartown, made a couple of telephone calls and then dictated
a statement to his aide Paul Markham, which was then given to the police.
The statement was as follows:

On July 18, 1969, at approximately 11:15 p.m. in Chappaquiddick, Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, I was driving
my car on Main Street on my way to get the ferry back to Edgartown.

I was unfamiliar with the road and turned right onto Dike Road, instead of bearing hard left on Main Street.
After proceeding for approximately one-half mile [800 m] on Dike Road I descended a hill and came upon a narrow
bridge.

The car went off the side of the bridge.
There was one passenger with me, one Miss Mary [Kopechne], a former secretary of my brother Sen. Robert Kennedy.

The car turned over and sank into the water and landed with the roof resting on the bottom.
I attempted to open the door and the window of the car but have no recollection of how I got out of the car.
I came to the surface and then repeatedly dove down to the car in an attempt to see if the passenger was still in the car.
I was unsuccessful in the attempt. I was exhausted and in a state of shock.

I recall walking back to where my friends were eating. There was a car parked in front of the cottage and I climbed into
the backseat. I then asked for someone to bring me back to Edgartown. I remember walking around for a period and
then going back to my hotel room.
When I fully realized what had happened this morning, I immediately contacted the police...'
Wikipedia:

Here's Crikey.com's version written in 2009. It's a secured website.
tinysurprised

Quote:Ted Kennedy and Chappaquiddick, the true story
'The dreadful truth of that night is well-known among Kennedy staffers and his surviving family, writes Bob Ellis.
Teddy was nowhere near the car when the accident occurred.

The death of Mary-Jo Kopechne in Teddy Kennedy’s car on the night of July 18th, 1969, ended Teddy’s chances of the
presidency, then thought very good, in 1972 and the memory of it, still recent, prevented him replacing Jimmy Carter at
the top of the ticket in 1980.
He never sought that office again.

The Reagan years ensued, and it was said thereafter by thoughtful historians that ‘Roosevelt’s America drowned at
Chappaquiddick, along with Mary-Jo.’ The dreadful truth of that night is well-known among Kennedy staffers and his
surviving family, and it is that Teddy was nowhere near the car when the accident occurred.

What happened was a reunion party of Bobby Kennedy campaign volunteers a year after his assassination which
Teddy attended, making a thank-you speech and drinking vigorously. He was booked into the same hotel as Mary-Jo,
a 19-year-old virgin, whom he offered a lift for whatever reason, planning to seduce her perhaps, or not.

They set off together in the car, and several of the party revellers saw them go, with Teddy at the wheel.
A quarter mile down the dirt road, Teddy saw up ahead a parked police car. He pulled over. He told Mary-Jo he couldn’t
be seen in charge of a car in his drunken condition, it would cause a headline, it would harm his political career.
“I’ll get out, and walk to the hotel,” he said. “You drive, and I’ll see you there.” She agreed and drove off, passing the
police car unnoticed.

Teddy walked the three-quarters of a mile back to the hotel, using the newly constructed bridge to the island. Mary-Jo,
unacquainted with the territory, drove down the old road to the old broken bridge and into the water.
She was alive in an air bubble for five hours and asphyxiated.

Teddy came to the hotel, didn’t see her in the bar, shrugged, went upstairs and slept.
He came down refreshed to the breakfast room next morning in his yachting jacket, prepared for a day’s sailing.
A young man approached him and spoke to him, telling him the news, and his face fell.

Political advisers flew in and phoned him, and the problem was chaotically discussed.
He had been seen driving away in the car with the girl, and the police already knew this. She drowned in his car.
What to do? What to say? If he said he wasn’t in the car at the time, would he be believed?
It might look like he murdered her.

So a story was fabricated that he was at the wheel, and he took the wrong road, and the car drove off the bridge and
into the water, and he got out, but she didn’t, and he repeatedly dived to rescue her, and couldn’t find her, and he
crawled ashore, groggy, and went to the hotel and … went to bed.

Immediately he was asked why he didn’t inform the police, and why he left the scene of an accident, and the whole
story fell apart. He went on television and said there seemed to be a curse on his family, and this looked very self-serving,
and even sinister.

A couple of days later men landed on the moon.
A front cover of Private Eye showed him saying to Richard Nixon, ‘Can I drive you home?’ He was thought a murderer for
some time, a careless playboy thereafter, and Camelot therefore did not return. The curse, it appeared, was a plausible
theory.

What was worse, however, was the real, unyielding truth. This was that a cop on duty caused by his looming presence on
a country road the end of the Kennedy adventure, and the social democrat America of the Roosevelt years that never
therefore returned.

Mary-Jo’s parents demanded an autopsy to discover a certain medical fact. And it was as they expected.
She died a virgin...'
SOURCE:

News Week, 1969:
Quote:'...He could not speak earlier, he said, because of his court case—but his plea of guilty freed him "to tell you
what happened and to say what it means to me." He had gone to the Vineyard with Bobby's son Joe, 16,
to sail in the Edgartown Yacht Club regatta -a 30-year family traditionn-and that night on Chappaquiddick,
he attended "a cookout I encouraged and helped sponsor for a devoted group of Kennedy campaign
secretaries."

Leaving with Mary Jo, as he told it, was an almost avuncular gesture -a lift for a girl who had been so devoted
to Bobby in life and so shattered by his death that "all of us tried to help her feel that she still had a home with
the Kennedy family."

He tackled one line of gossip head on: "There is not truth, no truth whatever, to the widely circulated suspicions
of immoral conduct that have been leveled at my behavior and hers regarding that evening.
There has never been a private relationship between us of any kind …" Nor was the party anything but innocent.
On the matter of drinking, however, the senator was perceptibly less explicit; he flatly denied "driving under th
 influence of liquor" and chose to drop the matter there...'

Quote:'..."I remember thinking that as the cold water rushed in around my head that I was for certain drowning," he said.
"Then water entered my lungs and I actually felt the sensation of drowning. But somehow I struggled to the surface
alive.

I made immediate and repeated efforts to save Mary Jo by diving into the strong and murky current, but succeeded
only in increasing my state of utter exhaustion and alarm."

He has been unable since, he said, to make sense of all he said and did in the hours that followed. "My doctors
informed me that I suffered a cerebral concussion as well as shock," he said, but he could not blame his behavior
-as his first statement seemed to -on "physical [or] emotional trauma … I regard as indefensible the fact that I did
not report the accident to the police immediately."...'

Quote:'...And Kennedy's subsequent six-day delay in owning up that his behavior that night had been "indefensible" scarcely
helped. For it was not until after the Compound had filled with the old Kennedy company of advisers that Teddy finally
decided to plead guilty and attempt an explanation.

The ultimate question that no one could answer was whether Mary Jo might have been saved had Kennedy called the
police at once from the first house he passed, 100 yards from the bridge.

The possibility seemed remote on its face. But John Farrar, the 33-year-old scuba diver who finally retrieved Mary Jo's
body from the sunken car, thought there was a "slim chance" that he and chief Arena might have saved her.

Mary Jo's position in the car suggested to Farrar that she might have found a temporary air pocket (though how long this
would have lasted with water flooding in through an open window was problematical). Farrar feels Kennedy had no real
chance to save her by himself; the water was too inky and the tides too strong for most fit me, let alone a dazed and injured
accident victim with a chronically bad back.

But Farrar said he and Arena, in diving gear, "had the body out in half an hour after I was called … Even working in the dark,
I think we would have had her out in 45 minutes."...'
Newsweek:

And they wonder why politicians and Journalists can't be trusted.
tinysure
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe.