Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Music! The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!
[Image: music-is-good-for-your-science-whitacre-...icle-0.jpg]

Explanation: Music! The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!

[Image: MusicBrain-m-0401.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg]

The Good!...

Music Can Heal ...

[Image: the-music-online3.jpg]

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything!"

Quote:It's almost impossible to find someone who doesn't feel a strong connection to music. Even if you can't carry a tune or play an instrument, you can probably reel off a list of songs that evoke happy memories and raise your spirits. Surgeons have long played their favorite music to relieve stress in the operating room, and extending music to patients has been linked to improved surgical outcomes. In the past few decades, music therapy has played an increasing role in all facets of healing.

Read more ...

How music can help you heal [health.harvard.edu]

Quote:The beep of ventilators and infusion pumps, the hiss of oxygen, the whir of carts and the murmur of voices as physicians and nurses make rounds — these are the typical noises a premature infant hears spending the first days of life in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). While the sounds of such life-saving equipment are tough to mute, a new study suggests that some sounds, such as lullabies, may soothe pre-term babies and their parents, and even improve the infants' sleeping and eating patterns, while decreasing parents' stress (Pediatrics, 2013).

Read more ...

American Psychological Association: Music as medicine [apa.org]

Quote:Music therapists are found in nearly every area of the helping professions. Some commonly found practices include developmental work (communication, motor skills, etc.) with individuals with special needs, songwriting and listening in reminiscence/orientation work with the elderly, processing and relaxation work, and rhythmic entrainment for physical rehabilitation in stroke victims. Music therapy is also used in some medical hospitals, cancer centers, schools, alcohol and drug recovery programs, psychiatric hospitals, and correctional facilities.

Read more ...

Music Therapy [wiki]

Quote:Many of the aforementioned reports are based on the use of auditory stimuli that combines binaural beats with other sounds, including music and verbal guidance. This consequently precludes the attribution of any influence on or positive outcome for the listener specifically to the perception of the binaural beats.[103] Very few studies have sought to isolate the effect of binaural beats on listeners. However, initial findings in one experiment suggest that listening to binaural beats may exert an influence on both low frequency and high frequency components of heart rate variability, and may increase subjective feelings of relaxation.

Notwithstanding this problem, a review of research findings suggest that listening to music and sound can modulate autonomic arousal through entrainment of neural oscillations. Furthermore, music generally, and rhythmic patterns, such as those produced by percussive performance including drumming specifically, have been shown to influence arousal ergotropically and trophotropically, increasing and decreasing arousal respectively. Such auditory stimulation has been demonstrated to improve immune function, facilitate relaxation, improve mood, and contribute to the alleviation of stress.

And ...

Quote:Historically, music generally, and percussive performance specifically was and remains integral to ritual ceremony and spiritual practice among early and indigenous peoples and their descendants, where it is often used to induce the non ordinary state of consciousness (NOSC) believed by participants to be a requisite for communication with spiritual energies and entities.

Read more ...

Binaural Beats [wiki]

Quote:All musicians know that performing and listening to music has all kinds of positive effects.

But for the first time a study has proved that going to a concert actually has a beneficial effect on your body.

A study carried out by the scientists from the Centre for Performance Science at the Royal College of Music has found that attending a live classical music performance reduces levels of the stress hormones cortisol and cortisone.

Read more ...

Science says music is good for you – and Eric Whitacre has proved it [classicfm.com]

Quote:Turns out Mom and Dad were right. Those piano lessons you despised and those endless hours in school band practice truly were good for you. From making you smarter, to diminishing the effects of brain aging, to improving emotional stability, it seems that playing an instrument has a hand in reconfiguring your brain and enhancing it. Permanently. And let's be clear: Just listening to music doesn't cut it. It's the active work of bringing sounds to life that delivers the biggest benefit.

Researchers are still discovering all the ways that making music enriches your brain, but the impact is undeniable. So dust off that old guitar from college. Unpack your grade-school clarinet. Join a neighborhood jam or kick back at home, just you and your favorite instrument. And by all means encourage your kids to play, too. The younger they start, the better. Here are 10 reasons why you'll be glad you did.

Read more ...

10 reasons why making music is good for your brain [mnn.com]

The Bad!...

When Music Attacks ...

[Image: mormonad-some-music-can-hurt-you-1118374-gallery.jpg]

“Some music is spiritually very destructive. … It is far more dangerous than you may suppose, for it can smother your spiritual senses.”

Quote:This question was different. Mr. New Neighbor asked why it was so hard for him to listen to the songs he used to love now that his wife had passed away. It had been six months. When would he be able to enjoy music again? Especially the music that used to bring him joy. Listening to this music now just made him sad, and it made him sadder still to know that he could not take comfort and joy in a pasttime he used to love.

Read more ...

Why Music Can Hurt [psychologytoday.com]

Quote:An earworm, sometimes known as a brainworm, sticky music, or stuck song syndrome, is a catchy piece of music that continually repeats through a person's mind after it is no longer playing. Phrases used to describe an earworm include "musical imagery repetition", "involuntary musical imagery", and "stuck song syndrome".

Read more ...

Earworm [wiki]

Quote:You probably know that companies are constantly trying to trick you into buying shit.

But did you know that they’re using music to influence not just what, but how you buy?

People have been studying this since the 1960s, but lots of people are completely oblivious that sound is used as a hypnotic form of trickery.

Read more ...

How Marketers Use Music for Mind Control [thehustle.co]

Music Is A Drug! ...

Quote:You know that feeling you get when you listen to a favorite part of a favorite song?  Some scientists have a refreshingly unscientific word for it: They call it the "chills." In the lab they can measure the chills, which correspond with a specific pattern of brain arousal and often are accompanied by increases in heart and breathing rates and other physical responses.  

Now neurologists report that this human response to music -- which has existed for thousands of years, across cultures around the world -- involves dopamine, the same chemical in the brain that is associated with the intense pleasure people get from more tangible rewards such as food or addictive drugs. The research will be published Sunday in the journal Nature Neuroscience.

Read more ...

Music really is like a drug, researchers say [articles.latimes.com]

Quote:SOME drugs go in and out of style while others seem to always be in demand.

Actually, make that inside our ears.

Yes, I am talking about music. Whether it’s rock, pop, rap, metal, classical, folk, country — or any other style you can think of — the music you love gets inside your head to such an extent that it acts like a drug. And, like with other addictive substances or experiences, it can mean that we’ll spend a whole lot of money to get more of it.

Read more ...

Why your favourite song is also a powerful drug [news.com.au]

Quote:Now that I’ve got your attention with the idea of free drugs, what if I were to tell you that you’ve been downloading drugs off the internet for some time now? Well, according to some research, if you’ve been downloading music off the internet then you have. Research on this exact topic was actually being carried out here on campus by a Dr. Large, but he and his lab have moved to a different university. Music is very similar to drugs in many different ways and pretty much is one.

Drugs are known for their ability to invoke intense emotional states, change a person’s behavior and change the way they perceive their surroundings. Music does the same thing. Ever hear your favorite song and get really excited? Well it may not seem like a drug, and you may think that the song is just making you happy, but happiness is a drug too. Technically, it’s not happiness, it’s called dopamine. Dopamine is a chemical that is commonly released in the brain as a reward for something you do, making you feel good so that you do that thing again. It’s an evolutionary process that makes you keep doing necessary things like eating to stay alive and having sex to keep the human race alive. This chemical being released in your brain is the same effect of some drugs, the most common one being ecstasy. The effect isn’t the release of dopamine though. Ecstasy actually keeps the brain from letting the dopamine go away, but music affects the brain in a very similar, but less intense, way. It may not be as intense so as to cause hallucinations, but it can cause very intense feelings.

Read more ...

How music can affect the brain like a drug [upressonline.com]

Quote:Having too much dopamine in the wrong place can make you psychotic. Illicit drugs that dump loads of dopamine (or strongly inhibit its reuptake, which is similar to dumping loads of dopamine) include cocaine and methamphetamines. Therefore high amounts of dopamine can cause euphoria, aggression and intense sexual feelings.

SPECIAL: Read more ...

Dopamine Primer [psychologytoday.com]

Music Can KILL! ...

Quote:Tom Reid, 19, was taken ill in a crowded London club after standing close to the speakers and telling a friend: ‘The bass is affecting me.’

There was no trace of alcohol or drugs in his body and his heart was in good condition.

A coroner recorded a verdict of natural causes, saying the straight-As student was killed by sudden arrhythmic death syndrome (SADS), a heart disorder which kills 12 young people a week.

Cardiac experts said the bass could have triggered SADS if Mr Reid had underlying, yet unknown, genetic problems.

Read more ...

Loud Bass Music Killed Student [metro.co.uk]

The Ugly! ...

[Image: new-miley-pic.png]

“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.”

Quote:Scott Rickard set out to engineer the ugliest possible piece of music, devoid of repetition, using a mathematical concept known as the Costas Array. In this surprisingly entertaining talk, he shares the math behind musical beauty ... and its opposite.

View more ...

The Beautiful Math BehindThe Ugliest Music [ted.com]

Quote:With alter egos being thrown around so casually throughout the entertainment world, is it any coincidence that the creation of an alternate persona is the primary goal of Monarch Mind Control -an extension of the well recognized and CIA developed MK Ultra? In full, Monarch Mind Control (MMC) is noted as a mind control technique that combines occult rituals, psychology and neuroscience to create an alter ego within a desired subject. Within MMC the subject is often referenced to as ‘the slave,’ while those responsible for both applying the technique and activating it are known as ‘the handlers.’ It is believed by many that once fully programmed, monarch slaves are then used on demand by an elite group to carry out rituals, performances, deliver messages, etc. that are in-line with a desired outcome.

Read more ...

Another Side of The Music Industry: Monarch Mind Control [collective-evolution.com]

Music That Was BANNED! ...

Turn That Down! 40 Banned and Censored Songs [ncac.org]

List of songs banned by the BBC [wiki]

Songs that were Banned [songfacts.com]

Personal Disclosure: So in summing up ... Music is a tool ... and it can be used for good , bad or ugly reasons.

What do you use music for?

Do you compose and or play music?

How does music affect you?

Have you ever had negative experience with music?

Have you ever had a magical experience with music?

Thanks for reading! minusculebeercheers
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
Music is awesome and I just don't want to find any reason to ever say there is a bad side to it.  :(  However, everything has a good and bad side I suppose.

I use music as a healing tool, because it brings me such joy.  Even in times when i hear a song which invokes a sad memory  and it makes me cry... I feel this is a healing process because I typically feel better after the needed cry.  A release of sorts...

On the negative side,  am I on drugs by listening to music ?  Well in my mind, No, not the kind of drug that is addictive and dangerous.  A naturally occurring drug...perhaps.  I was given ears to hear for a reason...and music is definitely a good choice I make to hear loud and clear.  I go into it with a positive thought too so perhaps it stays positive for me as a result.

I feel bad for anyone who has a negative reaction or occurrence because of music.

Awesome Thread !

allusion
             Private Language 
Philosophical Investigations (aka PI)
Nice thread! As to your questions...

1:) What do I use music for? 

Many things I suppose, focus is one. When i am creating an artwork, I put on orchestra music and it helps me get into this zone of total focus on creating. 

Another thing is celebration. Whenever I'm in an exceptionally good mood I play music and dance. 

I have also used music to help my anger, not to calm it down, but keep it going long enough to do whatever it is that i need to do.  There was a lot of heavy metal played during my divorce and all that surrounded that. It kept my adrenaline level up, which was where it needed to be. 

I also use music to express my feelings, whether it's worship, love or devotion, sometimes it's best expressed through music. 

So, in short, there is myriad of uses.

2:) Do I compose or play music? 

No. I learned and played violin as a child, as a teenager transferred to guitar - played classical guitar at that time but I haven't played since. 

3:) How does music affect me?

In a multitude of ways, probably as varied as my reasons for listening. 

4:) ever had a negative experience with music? 

No. 

5:) Ever had a magical experience with music? 

No, nothing i would classify as magical.
@"allusion"  and @"Grace" 
How about?
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Wow I should have never clicked on this thread...Just killed a couple of hours... But will you still love me tomorrow ?
(12-03-2016, 04:56 PM)727Sky Wrote: Wow I should have never clicked on this thread...Just killed a couple of hours... But will you still love me tomorrow ?
YES  tinyinbiglove
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]