Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Generation Of Snowflakes
Quote:Universities help students cope with Election Day stress
That's the Title and I have to ask, How, How well these so called young Adults Face Life's Hardships? Do they Truly Believe Everything They Want Or Believe Will be Handed To Them Just Because It's What THEY Want Or Expect?
[Image: VCU-165x400.jpg] [Image: Snowflake.Shutterstock-370x242.jpg]
Quote:Universities across the nation are striving to help students cope with the stress of Election Day, such as offering tips on managing anxieties and events to help absorb election results.

Take Virginia Commonwealth University, which posted a six-point guide on how to “cope with election stress.”

The advice includes suggesting students: “unplug,” to stay informed but not constantly scroll their newsfeed; “be present … give yourself permission to feel the way you do”; “find a healthy escape,” such as exercise, journaling or meditating; “connect,” to hang with allies and friends, but “limit conversation that has potential to get heated”; “refuel” by drinking lots of water and getting plenty of rest; and finally “do something” through volunteering and advocacy.

“Election season is here and it’s important to practice self care,” the VCU Office of Multicultural Student Affairs noted on its Nov. 2 Facebook post.
University of Rochester’s Counseling Center posted a guided, two-minute meditation to help students handle their “election stress.”

And a note posted on Facebook by the University of Iowa’s Counseling Service lets students know the center “is here for you should you need to process through your experience of the presidential election.” The center also linked to an article that offers “Six Ways To Manage Election Stress With Mindfulness.”

Similarly, the University of Washington Counseling Center posted an article on “how to cope if your candidate loses on Election Day,” linking to a USA Today article headlined: “A 12-step plan for what to do if your candidate loses on Election Day.”
Wake Forest University counseling posted an article titled “Election stress is a real thing,” noting the write up also “contains tips to help people manage their stress related to the election.”

The University of Illinois’ Counseling Center noted in a Nov. 2 post “we’re a little less than a week out from Election Day. This campaign season has been especially stressful for many. How to stay strong and manage stress,” linking to a Psychology Today article titled “5 Ways to Stay Mentally Strong During Campaign Season.”

The advice therein? “Save your breath. Set healthy boundaries. Think realistically about the future. Limit your media consumption. View election season as an opportunity.”
A viewing party at East Carolina University hosted by the Political Science department and Center for Student Leadership and Engagement is billed by one student as a “safe space” for students to watch the results.

“It is important to have it on campus, so they know they are in a safe space and can say how they feel about the process and let it be kind of an open forum,” Erick Jenkins, a student vote everywhere ambassador at the CSLE, told the East Carolinian campus newspaper.

Allegheny College is hosting two post-Election Day decompression events for faculty and students “who wish to process the election in an open and welcoming space.”
“On Election Day, we are mindful that for many of us this election season has been particularly troublesome and discomfiting. Its aftermath may be just as, if not more, difficult to navigate,” the college states on its website.
They just as well issue each of these Little Snow Flakes a Poison Capsule To Swallow, They'll Never Survive Life After They leave The University!
Source
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
tinylaughing 

Well, it kind of goes along with what I was saying about staying calm after the election... but offering ways to accomplish that goal.  

At this point, I'm all for anything that will reduce the stress of their candidate losing so a riot can be avoided.  If they need to cling to Mama and cry on her shoulder, that's fine by me... for a little while.  tinydrroling

But, you are right... at some point these "kids" need to grow up and learn how to behave in public without needing therapy to make it through.   tinybiggrin
(11-08-2016, 06:02 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: But, you are right... at some point these "kids" need to grow up and learn how to behave in public without needing therapy to make it through.   tinybiggrin

And this is the point, you and I might get stressed or generally upset about some of this, but we know for a fact how to deal with our own emotions.. we know when it's time to back up and take some pictures or do something more fun and certainly don't need safe spaces.. (lol.. what is that anyway?.. i generally see that as anywhere I want to be.. I see the local diner as a "safe" space.... and my living room as an especially safe space as I can lounge naked if I want.. lol) 

This whole thing with kids is crazy.. my kids turned out fine and never once had nor needed a safe space and I'm fairly certain my father would have come at me with a belt had I told him I needed a safe space until I decided I didn't need one so much.. lol
This whole "safe space" thing!!!!    Why does everything need a damn label?

As grace stated, most people know when they just need to walk away from something, and do something else for a while. 

It's like people have no coping mechanism.   They have to be told how to handle things.   It really is more than a little unsettling to be honest.
(11-08-2016, 09:13 PM)Chiefsmom Wrote: This whole "safe space" thing!!!!    Why does everything need a damn label?

As grace stated, most people know when they just need to walk away from something, and do something else for a while. 

It's like people have no coping mechanism.   They have to be told how to handle things.   It really is more than a little unsettling to be honest.

I think it could have something to do with growing up and interacting on a damn cell phone!  These young people have no social skills, so they don't know how to handle themselves in emotional situations.
(11-08-2016, 10:13 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
(11-08-2016, 09:13 PM)Chiefsmom Wrote: This whole "safe space" thing!!!!    Why does everything need a damn label?

I think it could have something to do with growing up and interacting on a damn cell phone!  These young people have no social skills, so they don't know how to handle themselves in emotional situations.
Well my friends I truly believe this culture of No One Loses and everyone wins and gets a Trophy has a lot to do with the kids not being able to cope with life.

Quote:I’m a millennial. Not the young, Instagram-everything, use-Gofundme-to-pay-for-your-vacation kind. I’m the oldest possible millennial, the kind that listened to Hanson and learned to use a card catalog and died of dysentery on the Oregon Trail. There are a lot of criticisms against my generation, but one of the most persistent is that we’ve created an “everybody gets a trophy” culture that prioritizes self-esteem over all else.

The arguments against this culture are loud and varied. Trophy Communism: If everyone gets a trophy, why bother even trying to win? The John Wayne: We’re raising a generation of sissies who will never figure out that life is tough! The Freud: You’re just trying to keep them babies forever and never let them grow up and experience anything difficult. The Trump: Everybody’s too politically correct to deny the losers a trophy. You’re LOSERS, kids, LOSERS!

The attacks on what I’ll call Universal Trophyism are so virulent, I’m afraid to whisper my next words to the Internet:

I think everybody should get a trophy.
Source
They are Losers, Losers in Life and it's Down-Falls and the Disappointments That Life Will Throw At YOU!
They don't understand, Not Everything is going to go their way and Not Everyone Thinks Like Them!
Ways to manage stress ......
1. Go to strip club
2. Drink large quantities of alcohol
3. Go to weapons range
4. Go to demo range
Repeat steps 1-4 as needed ......
Better to reign in hell ....
  than serve in heaven .....

I'm with Daitengu - alcohol and guns has always been the perfect combination for me to manage stress with. I've never understood why it seems to generate so much stress in those around me when I start stress managing... kids these days!

When I was with my first wife, but before we'd actually gotten married, she decided she wanted to go to Virginia Commonwealth University, so we went there and spent a week in the area. 3 days into it, I informed her that it wasn't gonna work. it's right off High Street in Richmond, VA, and the place was crawling with wierdos, I mean real, honest to goodness take hand sanitizer and scrub your whole body with it wierdos. It was my contention that within the first month, there would be a spate of killings, and I'd wind up on the wrong side of jail bars... so she didn't go there. It doesn't surprise me, though, that those precious snowflakes have to go to extremes to manage what you or I would just call "Wednesday".

VCU students' stress levels are prolly already through the roof - just imagine the shock of waking up the next morning and finding that the hooker who looked like a girl the drunken night before suddenly had dangly bits you didn't notice in the rush of the urge to merge, and you were too young and dumb to see the adam's apple... yeah, those kids have it rough. Most of 'em prolly already have gunge on them that Ajax can't scrub off.

No lie, I saw a kid hooting and hollering at a transvestite hooker on High Street, and when i told him that she was really a he - "lookit that adam's apple, boy!" he actually threw up.

I shouldn't have told him - now THAT would have been entertainment!

Now, they're rioting, which I find hilarious. If they can't handle the disappointment of the democratic process they so claim to love, how in the hell are they gonna handle it when folks have had enough and start X-ing them out? When Obama won, they told the grumpy old men to just suck it up, Buttercup - that's the American way, and don't you just love democracy?... now, the shoe is on the other foot, and we see what they really think about their precious goddamned democracy!

They'd best just throw their temper tantrums in the cities, because out here in the hinterlands we have lions and tigers and bears and ninjas and shit. They wouldn't survive a vacation out here, much less a riot.

I see them marching with their cute little signs and shouting at the cameras "people are gonna have to DIE for us to get our point across!" Well, bring it on baby! Get to killin', because as soon as you do, you're gonna learn fast that killin' shit goes two ways, and sometimes, when you kill folks, they just up and kill you right back...

...now THAT will make 'em grow up in a goddamned hurry!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(11-08-2016, 10:13 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:

Actually they had some psychologists talking about how 'fragile' young college kids are now a days, needing their 'safe place' and they  mentioned that social media plays a large part in that.

Reason being they explained, was someone starts off first with a gripe/complaint then it gets passed on to another, then another....
Before you know it, hundreds are on Facebook getting themselves all worked up over it.

Basically, they said the young people today "create" their own fears and it may start with a text, that turns into a tweet, or post on Facebook.
Next thing you know it snowballs out of control, which leads to panic/fear.

At first I thought how crazy that was.
Until I started paying more attention to the posts and sure enough, people allow themselves to get upset over the littlest things.

Also, I say parents are cuddling their kids more than they used to when I was growing up.
Many do not like to tell their kids  'NO' for fear it might hurt their feelings.

They give in to their kids every whim to satisfy them, so as to not to upset them.

They let the kids PARENT them, which is wrong on so many levels.

So by the time they get to college, they need their "safe place" since they are away from Mommie & Daddy.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

I can't find my socks...I'm upset.

Can I have a hug?
Please give me a safe space to grieve and let's talk about my socks. tinytongue 

!@#$%^&*~!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jude
(11-11-2016, 07:54 AM)Jude Wrote: I can't find my socks...I'm upset.

Can I have a hug?
Please give me a safe space to grieve and let's talk about my socks. tinytongue 

!@#$%^&*~!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jude

smalltappingfoot

Suck it up buttercup!   tinysure

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

[Image: attachment.php?aid=736]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Doesn't anyone see the irony here...?! I mean, what some of today's youth are rioting
over is that the 'establishment' they grew up in has changed and they don't like it!

Older people may recall how such protests occurred in the past because of 'The Man'
wanting their more-disciplined ways to continue with the cute, sheepish women being
the kitchen, the male working a nine-to-five job and the kids following in their parents
footsteps.

Black people were seen as secondary and the law enforcement were deemed by many
as just corrupt racist cops that were the sheepdogs of the political pigs. The whole
hippie movement in America was based on peace and demanding that their country
shouldn't fight overseas wars that hd nothing to do with them.
(There were other concerns, but I was sticking to the 'Forrest Gump' version!)

So how did it all pan out?
Well, if we ignore the many assassinations of the leaders of their respective revolutions
and the assumed-facts that many of white protesters grew up and conformed to this
'neat-picket-fence' perception, the black issue continued and the Governments continued
to build their arsenals and bullsh*t the electorate with their false promises, we can see that
'The Man' won... the establishment -although slightly altered, continued to keep their status
-quo.

Today's kids don't know any different. Their social history is put aside in schools in favour
of discussing moral attitudes that they haven't fully formed yet. Their tutors urge them to
see that their niave perceptions of a comfortable lifestyle are correct without offering them
alternative views that the past has taught society.

I agree that internet chat sites, such as this one and the  'social media' has had a major part
to play in this. Serious discussions of standard social continuance usually end-up being lost
in a playground-like forum with awful things being typed that are usually of a personal nature.
Because that's what kids do!

But this medium isn't the best platform in the first place to attempt to get one's point of view
across. Being called 'an ass-hole' can have a two-fold meaning in the real world, but without
facial poses, physical stance and nuances of tone, such a comment can be seen as a mere
single-minded insult and in many cases, is met with a like-minded response.

The buzz-word is 'echo-chamber' and for all of us, we like to frolic in such places.
Our beliefs become more fleshed-out, a younger person becomes more confident in their
position and it may seem to be that if this is what everyone I'm interacting with is on the same
page, then the whole world must be the same.
It's almost cult-ish.

However, the real world doesn't work like that and the social skills needed to operate in a
system that will change, evolve and oppose one's personal beliefs are never propagated
in such echo chambers.

The establishment won their war back in the sixties and now, today's young feel unnerved
by the possible idea of change... which in it's self is ironic!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(11-11-2016, 09:01 AM)senona Wrote:

He must be pointing toward California, right?   tinylaughing
(11-11-2016, 09:01 AM)senona Wrote:
Once A Great State, so true. NOW!
[Image: whiners_club.gif]
[Image: tumblr_o2gzy0KnOx1v5hzivo1_500.gif] [Image: crosby_crying.gif]
@"guohua" , someone made a great comment today on these snowflakes.

Of course, with it being Veterans Day, it fit perfectly.

Back in 1944, there were 18 year olds who stormed the beaches at Normandy, many of whom never returned.
Fast forward to 2016, we have 'safe spaces' and 'cry ins' for those who get offended at the slightest breeze.

Do believe we as a society are 'de-evolving'.

We've gone from being Men to pussies.
And ladies to being flaky whiners.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(11-12-2016, 08:14 AM)senona Wrote: @"guohua" , someone made a great comment today on these snowflakes.

Of course, with it being Veterans Day, it fit perfectly.

Back in 1944, there were 18 year olds who stormed the beaches at Normandy, many of whom never returned.
Fast forward to 2016, we have 'safe spaces' and 'cry ins' for those who get offended at the slightest breeze.

Do believe we as a society are 'de-evolving'.

We've gone from being Men to pussies.
And ladies to being flaky whiners.

It's much easier to overcome and control people who are that weak though...if I was in the business of say, trying to take control over the government of a nation, I'd certainly want the people of said nation to be as weak and ignorant as possible.. 

Seriously, people can't handle real life anymore. We stopped equipping kids to handle just normal life. They can't even deal with someone who has a different opinion than them now, how are they going to deal with something as serious as death?  

I had to go back to work 3 days after Nicki died.. no choice in the matter.. how would these kids deal with the type of thing that can crush the strongest of people when they can't even deal with an election? 

Life is life, not everyone has the same opinion, really bad things happen in this world, and not everyone is kind - and there are some who will down right kill you.. and not one person is preparing these kids for any of it these days.

Life is survival of the fittest, the fittest mentally as well as physically even today are who survives and thrives.. these people are being raised to be slaves at the very best, they are not being raised to be citizens in a free and open society.
(11-12-2016, 12:01 PM)Grace Wrote:   ...I had to go back to work 3 days after Nicki died.. no choice in the matter.. how would these kids deal
with the type of thing that can crush the strongest of people when they can't even deal with an election? 

Life is life, not everyone has the same opinion, really bad things happen in this world, and not everyone
is kind - and there are some who will down right kill you.. and not one person is preparing these kids for
any of it these days.

Life is survival of the fittest, the fittest mentally as well as physically even today are who survives and thrives..
these people are being raised to be slaves at the very best, they are not being raised to be citizens in a free
and open society.

I totally agree with you Grace.
There's a rough justice in bringing about a better world for the next generation and that is we never
truly can purvey how it was for the ones who came before.
We want life to be easier for the next ones and so, as they grow and become used to that environment,
they can never perceive any other kind of existence.

The cost is that many of the young cannot understand that they're in a better place and should now
look to improve the world for the next ones. It's just a childish, selfishness that has a bigger forum
to encourage itself because of the technology available.

To 'Grow A Pair' these days may involve demanding their parents to cultivate them for them whilst they
stay in their bedroom and swoon online at those who disagree with their Disney-esque narrative!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
BIAD said, "To 'Grow A Pair' these days may involve demanding their parents to cultivate them for them whilst they

stay in their bedroom and swoon online at those who disagree with their Disney-esque narrative!"

YUP! But Hey,, Kid, [Image: f6d6105421ee95861971ef89d1764eef.jpg][Image: 1stgen-bb-home.gif] [Image: growballsweb-4.jpg]
Are You Suffering From Trump Acceptance Resistance Disorder (TARD)?

[Image: 700_a7288076aa4fb01632ec37dabc57030e.jpg?v=1478969717]

Quote:Trump Acceptance Resistance Disorder is a pattern of pathologically dissociative and psychotic behavior, first observed in the late hours of November 8th 2016, and increasing in severity with passing time. Sufferers of Trump Acceptance Resistance Disorder often exhibit pronounced cognitive dissonance, sudden bouts of rage, uncontrollable crying, suicidal ideation, and extreme sadness.

Signs and Symptoms:

People with Trump Acceptance Resistance Disorder are characterized by a persistent unwillingness to accept that Donald Trump is going to Make America Great Again.

Individual sufferers often display signs of paranoia and delusion; in acute cases psychotic episodes have been observed.

Trump Acceptance Resistance Disorder is different from being upset about the results of the 2016 presidential election;
People with TARD are unwilling or unable to accept reality, despite irrefutable evidence.

According to the DSM-V, individuals with TARD exhibit most or all of the following symptoms:
- Telling others they are moving to Canada
- Fixated on fantasies about the Electoral College
- Protesting an election no credible source contests the outcome of

Source

smallrofl