Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Reengineering The Human Diet
If I were to eat insects, it wouldn't be ones from an insect farm.

I have a lizard I have been ordering crickets for since the pandemic, as the local pet store had closed down at that time. I order 100 large adult crickets with each order. Half the order is dead crickets, not like died in transit, but old rotten half eaten crickets (crickets are cannibals) that were scooped up when they filled the order. Some kind of small beetles were in that filth too. The half that made it were weak, sickly and when given good food and water, might last for a couple weeks before the rest died. I was lucky if the lizard got two dozen out of 100 to eat.

There is a cricket farm in my state, about 80 miles or so south of me. They have another variety of cricket and they were primo, plus they packed them so well, none of them died in transit, even in the coldest of winter. Top dollar though for those, but it was worth it to not buy sick diseased and mostly dead crickets.

The best crickets I can get are the wild black field crickets around my yard, but they are hard to catch and harder to trap, but big and juicy, worth collecting. As for me, I've found some really big juicy grubs in the soil or in wood I'm chopping. I've heard they have a nutty flavor. Insects are on the bottom of my list when it comes to alternative protein foods though. There are plenty of different critters around here I could be eating besides bugs.

Messages In This Thread
Reengineering The Human Diet - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 08-03-2022, 03:52 PM
RE: Reengineering The Human Diet - by Michigan Swamp Buck - 08-03-2022, 11:04 PM
RE: Reengineering The Human Diet - by Snarl - 08-06-2022, 03:29 AM