Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
That Feeling...That Moment
I've never been precisely certain if that "moment" is one that you experience alone, or if it's the somehow impossible knowledge that someone else is in that moment with you...like someone else "gets it" in the same way you did.  Or maybe all the synchronicity of the world just strikes the same chord in that same moment somehow, in some ethereal, cosmic, sounding of a shot across all existence, a lightning bolt from the past out into the future for all eternity.

I know one thing...it's powerful; probably one of the most powerful things I've ever known, energy beyond all comprehension.  It transects consciousness and reality...all in that moment.  It's unmistakable. 

I tried to explain this concept to my wife.  Fortunately (for my well being), the 2nd such moment involved her, so I could put my description into a context she could identify with (without causing bodily injury).

What's strange is the reason I felt the need to explain a moment like that at all.  And, I've done a great deal of thinking about this reason, why.

I can only put it into the context of the lyrics of a song from long ago by Van Halen.  The tune was "Ain't Talkin' about Love"...and those words were...

"I've been to the edge; an' there I stood and looked down.  You know, I lost a lot of friends there, Baby; I've got no time to fuck around."

You see, I have indeed been to the "edge" in my life (more than once), and I have stood there and looked down.  I really did lose a lot of friends there; far too many.  And ever since I heard those words so long ago I've felt I had an obligation, some sense of duty, to preserve those precious moments, if only in the eye of the mind, forever.  And, that it was my duty to tell others this story, so they too would realize them...so they too would realize they exist...and never let them die...for everyone.

And you may wonder why I picked the song I did from Lenny Kravitz to tell this story.  Well, the answer is two-fold, one obvious and one not so much.  The first reason is easy...because for some reason this was the tune which launched the "moment" back into my mind.  The 2nd reason is harder to describe, more philosophical.  You see, we all wish we could live in that fleeting moment forever, but even in the moment we know we cannot.  And, like love, that moment is taken from us, and we are given another moment in return.  It is the future; it is life.  And, when we look back on that past, it is the 'heart of glass' which is shot from the loaded chamber of our memories.  We poured every ounce of our consciousness out into that moment, and when we try to get it back we are rebuffed by reality and time marching ever onward.  The emotion and the memories can never be taken away, and they live on.  

Breaking the chorus down in this context:

I gave you all the love I had - The moment itself
And I...almost gave you one more chance - Realized that moment would live forever
And you put one in the chamber - The choice to remain in that moment, or carry on
and shot my heat of glass - Time marching on
This time will be the last. - I won't be able to come back to this place...but I will never forget the "moment"; it will live on forever.

If I could only go back in time, but alas, I cannot, nor am I sure I would want to...for fear I might read something, some contaminant, into that ever so special moment and somehow spoil or change it.  A worse travesty I cannot imagine.

Time marches on, and our defense...to remember every moment, every single one.  To sort through those moments, and capture those which made an impact on our lives forever more.

In reality, the next moment for all of us may be that moment; the next moment IS that moment...ours to capture or lose forever.

After all, the sun rising tomorrow on our life...is that best moment, in some special way...and the next may be frozen forever, never to change.

And, in that final moment, there is no successive moment...only silence.

Messages In This Thread
That Feeling...That Moment - by FlyingClayDisk - 06-20-2022, 04:32 PM
RE: That Feeling...That Moment - by ChiefD - 06-21-2022, 02:06 AM
RE: That Feeling...That Moment - by OmegaLogos - 06-21-2022, 04:55 AM
RE: That Feeling...That Moment - by FlyingClayDisk - 06-21-2022, 05:28 AM
RE: That Feeling...That Moment - by Brotherman - 06-21-2022, 07:32 AM
RE: That Feeling...That Moment - by Brotherman - 06-21-2022, 08:24 AM
RE: That Feeling...That Moment - by ChiefD - 06-21-2022, 09:38 PM