Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
That Feeling...That Moment
(06-21-2022, 02:06 AM)ChiefD Wrote: This whole thread gives me goosebumps, in a good way. I read through it, and needed to take some time, as I got a case of the feels. I had to go have a good cry, as I thought of a feeling, a moment, that I hopefully will remember until the day I die. I wished this moment could last forever. 

The best day of my life was the day I married my husband. Nothing even comes close. I vividly remember how everything looked, smelled, sounded like, felt, and tasted. It was like the whole world was on pause for one sweet moment in time. I remember how we looked at each other, how warm his hand was when he held my hand, my trying to hold back tears, because I didn’t want to smear my makeup. I was so happy at the thought that I was going to spend the rest of my life on earth with this man, and hopefully beyond that. 

Our wedding was not romantic. We were young and broke, so we decided to just do it at the county courthouse, with my parents as witnesses. Ironically, I would go on later to work for that county for 22 years. Anyway, it was nice and casual. It was just the cost of a marriage license, as we had already been living together. I didn’t have a wedding shower, and he didn’t have a bachelor party. We just did the ceremony in the morning, and then drove to my parents house out in the country for a reception with some relatives. 

It was a lovely warm day, and my parents had erected a tent for the reception. We sat in the tent, ate, drank, and toasted to our new marriage. That was wonderful too, but the real moment when the county judge said “I now pronounce you man and wife”, well the tears came hard and fast. I no longer cared about my makeup. My parents took our picture outside the courthouse, and we were both beaming. God willing, I will always remember that moment. That was almost 30 years ago. Our 30 year anniversary is 7/2/22.

Many things have changed, the biggest one that my husband permanently resides in a nursing home. After two strokes, his body can no longer do much for itself, but his mind is still pretty sharp. He calls me 3-4 times a day, so I get to hear his voice every day. But him not being with me is very hard. I miss his prescence so much sometimes. I miss us and the things we used to do. But I’m so glad I had 27 1/2 years with him.

And I wish I could have frozen that wonderful moment in time on 7/2/1992. It was and always will be the happiest day of my life.

Such an awesome post...capturing the moment like that!  What a wonderful and heartfelt story.

Indeed, you know the feeling I spoke of.  Just that rare moment you never forget.  Never.  It lives in your mind's-eye forever...and every now and then something, some little queue will bring it back, if only for a moment. 

And, while we may never go back in time to capture those moments again, they live on forever in our memories.  It is vitally important to us all, as the human race, to never let those moments die.  They define us.  Hence my post here.

If we're lucky we get one in our lives. 

I've made it a personal goal to have more than one.  So far, I've been blessed to have had a couple.  And, through introspection, I believe moments like those are a state of mind...one which I will live out my days in pursuit of.

Messages In This Thread
That Feeling...That Moment - by FlyingClayDisk - 06-20-2022, 04:32 PM
RE: That Feeling...That Moment - by ChiefD - 06-21-2022, 02:06 AM
RE: That Feeling...That Moment - by FlyingClayDisk - 06-21-2022, 04:24 AM
RE: That Feeling...That Moment - by OmegaLogos - 06-21-2022, 04:55 AM
RE: That Feeling...That Moment - by Brotherman - 06-21-2022, 07:32 AM
RE: That Feeling...That Moment - by Brotherman - 06-21-2022, 08:24 AM
RE: That Feeling...That Moment - by ChiefD - 06-21-2022, 09:38 PM