Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where to they come from???...The snakes??
Often enough, particularly during the warmer months, we get visited by snakes of several kinds.  Normally the birdlife lets us know.  Magpies, Kookaburras and Butcher Birds diving at the things.  

The lager ones aren't perturbed and make it to the lodging.  Brown snakes I dispatch immediately.  Don't muck around with them. They are killers.  I wouldn't make it to the town hospital if I get bit by one of them.  Red Belly Black snakes are tolerable until one took to my fav dog a couple of years back.  'Deefer' didn't make it to the veterinarian before he suffered brain hemorrhage and his gut disintegrated causing him to bleed internally with the blood pouring from every orifice.  After that when a Red Belly got into the house, Mr shovel made short work of him. 

All Aussie snakes are protected by law but I won't risk it when the venomous ones are onto the porch let alone getting angry striking at me on my kitchen floor.  

The larger Pythons are more common.  We pulled a 4 meter  (12 foot) one out of the coop one time.  Most we get around the house are 3 meter ( 9 feet).  I don't mind them but relocate them further in the bush.  Last one I caught was a week or so ago.  Only a baby 2 metres ( 6 feet)  which I caught around the neck wrong handed as it went to bite my little dog and perhaps, coil him up and strangle him.  I got bit.  Sore but healing.  So I put this python into the roof cavity.  Have a couple up there.  Keeps the mice, rats and possums away especially after the latest mouse plague.  

Other snakes that visit us from time to time are Green Tree snakes and the 'Bandy Bandy'.  Small but harmless.  Larger Bandy Bandy snakes can inflict a nasty bite.  Had never seen a Bandy until I moved here.

Snakes and the bush go hand in hand here.  We are aware of them.  The dogs and birds generally let us know their whereabouts although my wife ran into a large black snake the other day with the ride on mower.   So you just never know.

Kind regards,

Bally :)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where to they come from???...The snakes?? - by Bally002 - 05-03-2022, 07:49 AM