Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Doomsday ‘Preppers’ Warn of Hard Times Ahead As Preparedness Goes Mainstream
I'm not a prepper. I have friends who are, but I'm not. Imo die, and they'll make it.

I have one who recently sent me photos of his setup. It was unbelievable. He already produces 95% of his own electricity via solar. He has a setup that kicks out about 10,000 watts, if I read it right. He sent photos of the solar panels and control panels for the switching station he has.

He sent photos of his "stash", and my hand to God, it looked like an underground warehouse stocked floor to ceiling with food, on into the distance. I have no doubt he'll make it. All he has to do is button down and ride it out. I dunno if he has an actual bunker or not, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. He has divested from Cryptocurrency, as it was too unreliable,

Another prepper friend certainly has the resources to be prepared, and the inclination, so I would not be surprised if he is also stocked to the gills. I don't know if he is - it's not something you pry about.

Me? I've only got about a month's worth of grub and guns... and ammo. A couple thousand rounds for one gun, somewhat less for the rest. Push comes to shove, I can hunt and gather, since I know what can be et here and what will kill you if you eat it. The land I have ain't worth a shit for gardening, so, no real garden. It'll have to come out of the surrounding woods. Maybe some trade, since I plan on growing some stuff that can be traded - luxury items, you might say.

What I HAVE cultivated is a peaceful patch of land, home to myriad critters. I can just raise a window and pop a squirrel or rabbit or deer, since they find my patch to be a safe space. I see them playing in the yard frequently, and don't bother them here, because the time may come when I need to bother them, and I want them to still be here, not spooked off.

My ma and her spouse, both in their 80's now, have a fairly large patch about 20 miles from here. I can walk 20 miles in a day. so it's not out of reach. Their patch IS good for farming, so that is another resource i can fall back on. As it turns out, that place is pretty near where I ran in my youth and survived on, so I'm familiar with it, and pretty sure I can find needed resources there.

What it may come down to is local production and barter, like it was 200 years ago. Don't trust megafarmers, trust your neighbors. The megafarmers might not be able to get the goods to you, the supply chain being what it is, but your neighbors will always be there.

In the US, I recommend corn over wheat or rice for farming. Higher return, less labor intensive. Beans. They can't be beat in the plant world for protein. Research what the Indians ate, because one day, that might be your own food source, too.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Doomsday ‘Preppers’ Warn of Hard Times Ahead As Preparedness Goes Mainstream - by Ninurta - 04-02-2022, 06:04 AM