Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nothing or Something:A Cemetery Story
Tomorrow will be thirteen years since the light in my dining room dimmed, then got so bright I thought the bulb would burst then went back to normal. The night my mom showed up with my cousin to tell me news I didn’t want to hear, I even shut the door in their faces and tried to just go back to bed. A little of my light dimmed too that night when my dad passed away.

This tale isn’t about that night, it being so near just had me thinking of other strange events that were related. So pull up a chair, pour yourself a glass of whiskey and if you like, I’ll tell a story or two that may have been nothing but could have been something.

A few years after he passed away, my brother came for a visit and decided he’d like for me to go with him to visit his grave. It was memorial weekend and I had made plans with my husband  to visit family but knowing how important it was to my brother, I agreed that if he drove down later, as it was a little further south than the cemetery, I would go.

I didn’t really want to go because my dad never liked stuff like that. He never saw a reason to go to someone’s grave when they weren’t there to talk back to you. When I was growing up he’d notice one of the widowed ladies in town going along the road to the cemetery and would say to us not to do such a thing when he’s gone.

I never liked the cemetery he is buried in. It’s in the middle of nowhere. No houses any direction for miles. I can remember the times we’d drive by it at night and the tingling despair would begin a mile from there at an old river bridge and last until the first house on the other side. I tried to drive through there once at night after I was older, as it was a shortcut to get home faster, but I turned around just after that bridge because it felt like I couldn’t breath. He loved the place though, said it had a nice view and that’s where he wanted to be.

Not only was the cemetery creepy, there were rumors of satan worshippers being in that area. I never knew if it was to scare us kids or not but a family member said they were out hunting one night and stumbled onto a group that was performing a ritual. 

Well my brother showed up to pick me up. I was relieved because there was enough daylight that we should be able to get in and out before dark. That is until he decided to stop at a Walmart. I was glad that he hurried with his purchase allowing us to be on our way.

I was texting a friend when we arrived at the bridge. I knew where we were before I looked up because the hair on the back of my neck was standing up. 

We arrived at the cemetery and parked with just enough daylight to see we were the only ones there. I knew, however that the daylight was quickly running out. We had to walk quite a ways in. I was getting more and more nervous as he was messing around placing those flowers. Then I heard a bellowing moan. It was loud and I couldn’t tell which direction it was coming from. I ran to the vehicle. I was jumping headstones and making good time until I got to a tall one and fell over it. I thought something had me for a second. I got back to the car with him not far behind. We never really talked about it. He was pretty spooked too, he just looked at me and said “I hate you” lol I guess I’d feel the same if someone abandoned me in that situation.

Next trip there was daylight and much happier. I found a dog sitting on my dad’s grave. I brought her home and when my husband glared at me for bringing in yet another animal I just glared back and told him daddy gave me a puppy. Kind of hard to argue with that. 

As I said it could have been nothing. A too big imagination, nighttime and the noise of a wild animal or it could have been something.

Messages In This Thread
Nothing or Something:A Cemetery Story - by VioletDove - 03-31-2022, 02:18 AM