Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do Gender Studies programs create activists?
(03-25-2022, 11:55 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(03-25-2022, 10:39 PM)DesertBorn Wrote: I came across this discussion concerning a proposed bill in Wyoming that would remove public funding for Gender Studies programs.  One point made about public funding is that the programs, essentially, train activists, which goes against public interests.   The bill was shot down.  

I agree, and would go one step further.  Training for essential jobs, for public interest should be the only post high school education supported by public funding.  

Here’s the discussion:  https://www.jamesgmartin.center/2022/03/...ing-block/

I don't even know what "gender studies" is. They didn't have any such thing when I was in school, or even later when I was in college - and that lasted off and on into my 30's. I probably need to get out more, I guess. We figured out our genders, well, not in the schoolyard.

My sister majored in "general studies" when she went to college, and we always said that was the curriculum folks entered to get their Mrs. degree. I presume "gender studies" is not to earn an Mrs. degree. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable marrying someone who had to study what gender they were. In my day, we learned that elsewhere, and school was there to teach us how to read, write, figure sums. get around or go through authority figures, and such stuff as that. Our "gender studies" may have been home economics for the gals, and shop class for the fellas, although that wasn't a hard and fast rule - some guys took home economics so they could learn to cook (a handy thing for a bachelor to know - them bpys planned ahead!), and I met one of my high school sweethearts in shop class, so there were gals in there, too. That gal could weld a bead better than i could, by the way.

So, not knowing just what gender studies is, I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I mean, it's good for folks to know what gender they are, but kinda rough if they have to take a class in school to find out. Wouldn't that sort of take time away from important studies - you know, the ones that will help them get jobs and be productive? Couldn't they just ask a significant other what their gender is if they are uncertain? I ,mean, such folks would have access to examine the defining characteristics up close and personal so there wouldn't be any mistakes made, wouldn't they?

Gender Studies used to be called Women's Studies, in some schools.   I guess it morphed.  Just like ‘female’ and ‘feminism’ have morphed too.   Progress!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Gender Studies programs create activists? - by DesertBorn - 03-26-2022, 12:17 AM