Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BEES n SHIT
Explanation: Well done! Great thread!

Personal Disclosure: Hey Honey, This Tastes Funny! Bee Carefull And Watch What You Eat Ok!

Ok so I am having a conversation with my parents about diabe(e)tes and sugar and honey consumption and my dad pipes up that honey can be toxic ...

Toxic Honey [wiki]

Quote:Honey produced from flowers of rhododendrons, mountain laurels, sheep laurel, and azaleas may cause honey intoxication. Symptoms include dizziness, weakness, excessive perspiration, nausea, and vomiting. Less commonly, low blood pressure, shock, heart rhythm irregularities, and convulsions may occur, with rare cases resulting in death. Honey intoxication is more likely when using "natural" unprocessed honey and honey from farmers who may have a small number of hives. Commercial processing, with pooling of honey from numerous sources, is thought to dilute any toxins.

Toxic honey may also result when bees are proximate to tutu bushes (Coriaria arborea) and the vine hopper insect (Scolypopa australis). Both are found throughout New Zealand. Bees gather honeydew produced by the vine hopper insects feeding on the tutu plant. This introduces the poison tutin into honey. Only a few areas in New Zealand (Coromandel Peninsula, Eastern Bay of Plenty and the Marlborough Sound) frequently produce toxic honey. Symptoms of tutin poisoning include vomiting, delirium, giddiness, increased excitability, stupor, coma, and violent convulsions. To reduce the risk of tutin poisoning, humans should not eat honey taken from feral hives in the risk areas of New Zealand. Since December 2001, New Zealand beekeepers have been required to reduce the risk of producing toxic honey by closely monitoring tutu, vine hopper, and foraging conditions within 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) of their apiary.

And my mum piped up that she remembers that toxic honey was a much darker color in the honey comb and was usually identified and cut out by the beekeeper!

[Image: Honey_comb.jpg]

Lets enjoy some Mead [wiki]

Quote:Mead (/ˈmiːd/; archaic and dialectal "medd"; from Old English "meodu") is an alcoholic beverage created by fermenting honey with water, sometimes with various fruits, spices, grains, or hops. (Hops act as a preservative and produce a bitter, beer-like flavor.) The alcoholic content of mead may range from about 8% ABV to more than 20%. The defining characteristic of mead is that the majority of the beverage's fermentable sugar is derived from honey. It may be still, carbonated, or naturally sparkling; and it may be dry, semi-sweet, or sweet.

Mead is known from many sources of ancient history throughout Europe, Africa and Asia. "It can be regarded as the ancestor of all fermented drinks," Maguelonne Toussaint-Samat has speculated, "antedating the cultivation of the soil." Hornsey considers archaeological evidence of it ambiguous; however, McGovern and other archaeological chemists consider the presence of beeswax markers and gluconic acid, in the presence of other substances known to ferment, to be reasonably conclusive evidence of the use of honey in ancient fermented beverages.

Claude Lévi-Strauss makes a case for the invention of mead as a marker of the passage "from nature to culture." Mead has played an important role in the beliefs and mythology of some peoples. One such example is the Mead of Poetry, a mead of Norse mythology crafted from the blood of the wise being Kvasir which turns the drinker into a poet or scholar.

The terms "mead" and "honey-wine" are often used synonymously.[13][14] Honey-wine is differentiated from mead in some cultures. Hungarians hold that while mead is made of honey, water and beer-yeast (barm), honey-wine is watered honey fermented by recrement of grapes (or other fruits).

[Image: 407px-Homemade_South_African_Mead.JPG]

minusculebeercheers
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!

Messages In This Thread
BEES n SHIT - by Rodinus - 03-16-2022, 11:27 AM
RE: BEES n SHIT - by VioletDove - 03-16-2022, 12:07 PM
RE: BEES n SHIT - by OmegaLogos - 03-16-2022, 12:09 PM
RE: BEES n SHIT - by F2d5thCav - 03-16-2022, 12:17 PM
RE: BEES n SHIT - by ABNARTY - 03-16-2022, 03:02 PM
RE: BEES n SHIT - by Ninurta - 03-16-2022, 09:40 PM
RE: BEES n SHIT - by senona - 03-17-2022, 02:16 AM
RE: BEES n SHIT - by Snarl - 03-18-2022, 12:44 PM
RE: BEES n SHIT - by Rodinus - 03-17-2022, 08:11 AM
RE: BEES n SHIT - by Rodinus - 03-17-2022, 09:36 AM