Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Russia's New 'Conservative' Ideology To Counter Liberalism
(02-05-2022, 12:15 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: Ideology is what it is, but Putin & Co. will have to get past their love of kleptocratic oligarchy first.

It's possible for Russia to be both Right Wing AND a Kleptocratic Oligarchy. We managed to do it for quite a while in the US, between about 1913 and the fall of our empire.

Quote:We have a similar problem.  The basic idea of "America" is great, but the way our government and society is operating today makes a mockery of the Constitution.

That's all a part of the ideological flip-flop going on. Just as Rome was not built in a day, institutions do not change overnight. It's a process, like a slow motion train wreck.

Quote:Most of what I've seen from Putin is yelping about how the Cold War ended (any Soviet failures were their own fault, something the Russian government today studiously avoids mentioning), and, a re-hash of Pan-Slavism with some adjustment for changes since 1914.  The latter is a paternalistic outlook, but with a daddy who is not altogether well upstairs.

It's a self-evident truth that Soviet failures were their own fault - WE didn't install them, they did that themselves, and are therefore responsible for their own shortcomings during the Soviet era.

Quote:I also think this globalist leftism movement that is running the West down should be countered, but with sound thinking, not a warmed-over stew of Tsarist and Soviet ideas.  Before Russia has anything new to offer to the world, my guess is their Cold War dinosaurs like Putin will have to pass away first.

The same could be said for here and our changes - us ancient Cold War dinosaurs will have to pass away before they are able to "fundamentally transform" America as rapidly or thoroughly as they want to into their Communist Utopia. They are, however, making a bully effort as we speak.

Quote:Europe, like @Wallfire used to say, is screwed.  The clock is ticking on the next outburst of violence, one that will have little to do with Russian ambition or NATO's existence.

The USA is on the edge.  Not much further along the current path will be the end of the country.  Recovery is possible, but it will be difficult and be fraught with conflict.

All very true. Recently a poll was taken of Americans, asking the question of how well are we getting along with one another, on a scale of 1 to 100, with 1 being kumbaya, and 100 being all out Civil War. The respondents gave us an average score of just slightly over 70, meaning we are not that far away from open conflict, and nearly everyone sees it.

Quote:Overall, it looks time for a change in many countries.

Cheers

Yup, and I'm pretty uncomfortable with it... but then again, the universe never asked about my comfort levels. It don't care. The next best thing is to be able to roll with the punches, merely survive until thriving is once again possible.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Russia's New 'Conservative' Ideology To Counter Liberalism - by Ninurta - 02-05-2022, 06:15 PM