Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hummers, Those Strange Sounds
(01-31-2022, 04:11 AM)guohua Wrote: @"GeauxHomeLittleD"  and @"Ninurta" .

Sounds like you both believe there was some form a tunnelling going on under your feet.
That is a very real possibility.
Could the sounds be form caves being created or collapsing like this cave here in the article and video.
Source of crystal cave article.

I understand that our Earth has these large crystal caves everywhere.

Those are some gorgeous caves!

In my case, I don't think there was any tunneling going on. The area where I grew up had a "karst" geology. It was limestone bedrock, and the karst factor comes in because over aeons, the action of water erodes caves out of the limestone, leaving it in a condition much like limestone honeycomb, riddled with caves all over.

It was in the eastern end of what is called "Glade Hollow", which is a valley several miles long, entirely riddled with caves. So, yes, there were hundreds, if not thousands, of underground hollow spaces. Glade hollow is known around here for having "sinkholes", which are holes that magically appear in the ground when one of those underground caves collapses. It's riddled from end to end with them. Not a good area for tunneling, because any tunnel may collapse the ground and bury the tunnelers.

The precise location of that sound is at  36°57'28.74" N  82°00'07.44" W. You can look it up on Google Earth to get an idea of the above ground terrain. I was actually leaving from a visit with a gal that I mentioned in an aging post a few minutes ago here.

The farm I grew up on actually had two cracks in the bedrock that ended at caves. One was about 5 feet long and 18 inches or so wide, about 20 feet deep, and was a disposal site for critters that died on the farm that we couldn't eat. I'd cut 'em up into pieces that would fit, and drop 'em into the hole. That had gone on for generations, and there is no telling how many or what kind of bones are on the floor of that cave. That slit shaft is the only entrance to it.

The other one was WAY below ground. The opening was only about the size of a groundhog hole, but I sat at it one day dropping stones in, and you could hear them clacking on the sides of the cave for probably 30 seconds or just a bit more before you heard them splash into water at the bottom. I would guess it to be 400 feet or a bit more deep.

I won't disclose the coordinates of those particular fissures, because you never know when you might want to drop something into them that you want to never be found.

The area also has coal mines, which could explain the clanking noises, but all the coal mines are well north of Clinch River, which that location is on the south side of. No coal in that area, so no mines. Furthermore, that karst terrain would invite mine collapses if any mines were there, so no one would have been mining it anyhow.

What strikes me is the metallic "clanging" quality of that noise. Yes, it sounded like underground machinery or a forge at work, but it would have been suicidal to tunnel there with or without machinery.

Just to the east of that area is Elk Garden, where several Indian mortuary or funerary caves have been located. Those holes in the ground have been used to dispose of bodies for a very long time. Hundreds, or perhaps thousands, of years.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
Hummers, Those Strange Sounds - by guohua - 01-30-2022, 10:53 PM
RE: Hummers, Those Strange Sounds - by Ninurta - 01-31-2022, 12:18 AM
RE: Hummers, Those Strange Sounds - by ABNARTY - 01-31-2022, 03:52 AM
RE: Hummers, Those Strange Sounds - by Ninurta - 01-31-2022, 06:02 AM
RE: Hummers, Those Strange Sounds - by ABNARTY - 01-31-2022, 07:22 PM
RE: Hummers, Those Strange Sounds - by Ninurta - 01-31-2022, 08:14 PM
RE: Hummers, Those Strange Sounds - by ABNARTY - 02-01-2022, 12:35 AM
RE: Hummers, Those Strange Sounds - by guohua - 01-31-2022, 04:11 AM
RE: Hummers, Those Strange Sounds - by Ninurta - 01-31-2022, 06:50 AM
RE: Hummers, Those Strange Sounds - by Schmoe1 - 01-31-2022, 05:16 AM
RE: Hummers, Those Strange Sounds - by gordi - 01-31-2022, 10:04 AM