Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The American Bumblebee Has Vanished From Eight States
(10-10-2021, 03:42 AM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: Oh, and have a look at the kicker at the end of this article. I probably shouldn't say anything about the bees I might find here, or any other creepy crawly, there are some that are very usual.

Quote:If the bee is placed under federal protection, farmers or developers who harm the insects could face up to $13,000 in fines each time one is killed, Live Science reports.

I think maybe the real consideration here is not the welfare of the iconic bumble bee, but the monetary fine per bee if you are caught eliminating a nest in your awning.

Brandon needs that extra cash to fill the new budget.

We have a saying around here that is as old as I am - "it ain't illegal if you don't get caught".

We have bumblebees out the ass around here. If New England is having a shortage, they're more than welcome to import some of these. Just yesterday, I saw a bush shaking in the woods without the benefit of a breeze, so I went to investigate thinking I might get to kill a snake, but instead it was a mass of bumblebees shaking it, working some late blooming flowers.

I noticed that all the states mentioned are northern tier states. If the south is eat up with them, and "climate change" is a factor in their demise, then clearly they thrive in warmer climates - so if those states are warming up due to climate change, shouldn't they be thriving instead?

What it really sounds to me like is that a bunch of scientists need a federal grant to study bumelebee decline, so they invented one to justify some grant money.

Does this mean I might have to stop using bumblebees for target practice with my BB gun?

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: The American Bumblebee Has Vanished From Eight States - by Ninurta - 10-10-2021, 09:15 AM