Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Scientists left baffled by reports of orca 'attacks,' call reports 'highly unusual'
It seems that along the Spanish and Portuguese coasts they are having a problem with orcas ramming boats and behaving aggressively.

Quote:The number of reported incidents involving orcas has risen over the summer, with researchers noting that interactions between the whales and boats are not unusual, but the level of aggression displayed in July and August is "highly unusual."
Orcas that the researchers have "known" since they were babies are behaving very strangely, even in one case taking out a fiberglass rudder and in another nearly tipping a boat over.

LINK

I personally think they are beautiful, but I've always wondered if there was more to the nickname "killer whale" than we've been led to believe.

[Image: Orcas.jpg]

"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
I blame it on 5G.
I blame everything that makes the birds and marine life go wonky on all the EMFs from cell towers and satellites that get them all confused and disoriented.

May not be the case at all; it could be that some far-left liberal orcas have infiltrated the herd.   tinylaughing
(09-14-2020, 01:10 AM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: It seems that along the Spanish and Portuguese coasts they are having a problem with orcas ramming boats and behaving aggressively.

Quote:The number of reported incidents involving orcas has risen over the summer, with researchers noting that interactions between the whales and boats are not unusual, but the level of aggression displayed in July and August is "highly unusual."
Orcas that the researchers have "known" since they were babies are behaving very strangely, even in one case taking out a fiberglass rudder and in another nearly tipping a boat over.

LINK

I personally think they are beautiful, but I've always wondered if there was more to the nickname "killer whale" than we've been led to believe.

[Image: Orcas.jpg]

maybe they want to free their willies tinybiggrin
(09-14-2020, 01:10 AM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: I personally think they are beautiful, but I've always wondered if there was more to the nickname "killer whale" than we've been led to believe.

Was doing a dry suit dive on Dead Man's Wall.  An orca snuck up from behind and lifted me up about 80 feet before I even knew what was going on and got off the 'elevator'.

You'd be surprised at how intelligent and playful ocean critters actually are.  I've only seen 'em get aggressive when they're feeding or you're in some area they don't want you to be in.  A test bite from a huge animal can be fatal for a soft and weak human.

Rule of thumb: If you can fit whole inside the belly of something in the ocean ... you are in danger.  Think of schools of fish as a single entity.  Otherwise, enjoy being wet!!
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
@"Snarl" 

Imagine getting caught in a school of Tuna... Ouch!!! tinysurprised
One of the reasons they are called Killer Whales is because they were and have been know to kill all kinds of whales to include  sperm whales. There are actually two different types of pods of Killer Whales that scientist have known about for a long time. The coastal pods tend to eat smaller critters like seals etc etc even Dolphins but the deep ocean pods will eat anything they can kill.

With a Killer Whale pod there is not much that can escape the pod if they want to eat you no matter how big the size. 

And do not think your large brain self is anything other than just a passing meal if they want to eat you.

(09-14-2020, 03:58 AM)Snarl Wrote: Was doing a dry suit dive on Dead Man's Wall.  An orca snuck up from behind and lifted me up about 80 feet before I even knew what was going on and got off the 'elevator'.
'
Were you in danger? i have heard that if you rise towards the surface too quickly, while diving, it can be fatal.
I am pleased that you are still here to write this. minusculethumbsup
"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(09-14-2020, 10:32 AM)Finspiracy Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 03:58 AM)Snarl Wrote: Was doing a dry suit dive on Dead Man's Wall.  An orca snuck up from behind and lifted me up about 80 feet before I even knew what was going on and got off the 'elevator'.
'
Were you in danger? i have heard that if you rise towards the surface too quickly, while diving, it can be fatal.
I am pleased that you are still here to write this. minusculethumbsup

It's quite dangerous.  Especially if you're holding your breath.  I still had about 40 feet of water over my head so no real threat of the bends.  Made for a short dive, which was fine with me.  I didn't really much care for diving in a dry suit.

One of the more odd aspects of that event was that only one other person saw it happen.  Said I was flailing around like crazy (I don't remember that at all).  No one else even saw the whale.  And my assigned 'buddy' never figured out where I was until he surfaced and got back on the boat at the end of the dive.
You better run!
(09-14-2020, 05:36 AM)727Sky Wrote: The coastal pods tend to eat smaller critters like seals etc etc even Dolphins but the deep ocean pods will eat anything they can kill.

I'd never heard of orcas called "deep ocean pods" before.  I'll have to look that up later.  Thank you!!

When I was living in Hawaii I went out on a 'blue water' dive.  I thought, "This ain't gonna be interesting at all."  But, I saw a 'school' of sharks out there that were the biggest/longest things I had ever see in the water (next to an attack sub coming out of Pearl).  One of two times I was 'really' scared in the water.

Know what I won't turn my back on out there?  Frikkin' turtles!!  Those suckers get BIG too.
You better run!
(09-14-2020, 06:41 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 05:36 AM)727Sky Wrote: The coastal pods tend to eat smaller critters like seals etc etc even Dolphins but the deep ocean pods will eat anything they can kill.

I'd never heard of orcas called "deep ocean pods" before.  I'll have to look that up later.  Thank you!!

When I was living in Hawaii I went out on a 'blue water' dive.  I thought, "This ain't gonna be interesting at all."  But, I saw a 'school' of sharks out there that were the biggest/longest things I had ever see in the water (next to an attack sub coming out of Pearl).  One of two times I was 'really' scared in the water.

Know what I won't turn my back on out there?  Frikkin' turtles!!  Those suckers get BIG too.

2 rules for swimming in shark or killer whale infested waters,

1. always use the buddy system
2. if shark or whale attack, push your buddy in front of you
(09-14-2020, 06:44 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote: 2 rules for swimming in shark or killer whale infested waters,

1. always use the buddy system
2. if shark or whale attack, push your buddy in front of you

Buddy of mine got bit by a smaller turtle.  Made a real ugly bruise on the back of his arm.

The worst thing that ever 'got after me' was a frikkin' puffer fish.  Was a not pleasant event ... at all.  Bit the crap out of me before I ever saw it.  Came back for another bite before I cleared my head and unsheathed my dive knife.  After that it just chased at me, but stayed out of arm's reach.  Was diving with this young lieutenant ... and he almost drowned laughing at me.
You better run!
(09-14-2020, 05:36 AM)727Sky Wrote: One of the reasons they are called Killer Whales is because they were and have been know to kill all kinds of whales to include  sperm whales. There are actually two different types of pods of Killer Whales that scientist have known about for a long time. The coastal pods tend to eat smaller critters like seals etc etc even Dolphins but the deep ocean pods will eat anything they can kill.

With a Killer Whale pod there is not much that can escape the pod if they want to eat you no matter how big the size. 

And do not think your large brain self is anything other than just a passing meal if they want to eat you.

That first one is really alarming.   I would have thought they'd beach at that depth.   Instead, the whale just comes in for a meal.   I'm aghast.
My time in Norway I seen real storms and what the sea can do, I have walked beaches where no one has been for years, it was one hell of a hike to get to them. Something I understood wile walking the beaches, everything in the sea will eat you, just some dont wait till you are dead.
(09-14-2020, 07:00 PM)drussell41 Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 05:36 AM)727Sky Wrote: One of the reasons they are called Killer Whales is because they were and have been know to kill all kinds of whales to include  sperm whales. There are actually two different types of pods of Killer Whales that scientist have known about for a long time. The coastal pods tend to eat smaller critters like seals etc etc even Dolphins but the deep ocean pods will eat anything they can kill.

That first one is really alarming.   I would have thought they'd beach at that depth.   Instead, the whale just comes in for a meal.   I'm aghast.
haa ha , 'totaly orchestrated'...
(09-14-2020, 06:58 PM)Snarl Wrote: Buddy of mine got bit by a smaller turtle.  Made a real ugly bruise on the back of his arm.

The worst thing that ever 'got after me' was a frikkin' puffer fish.  Was a not pleasant event ... at all.  Bit the crap out of me before I ever saw it.  Came back for another bite before I cleared my head and unsheathed my dive knife.  After that it just chased at me, but stayed out of arm's reach.  Was diving with this young lieutenant ... and he almost drowned laughing at me.

Your nerves must be made of stainless steel. I guess that while you are underwater, diving, that is REALLY not the time, or the place, to panic. tinybigeyes
"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre