Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You Worry Me
(06-20-2016, 12:17 AM)senona Wrote:
Quote:He's asking people from other countries and other faiths to turn their backs on their own beliefs, backgrounds and history and to become Stars'n'Stripes waving Americans, just because they happen to be living in America?

The way I interpreted his remark was those that were naturalized citizens, should stand up for America.

Anyhow, this is the oath of Allegiance to the U.S. when becoming a citizen.
So yes, these people should show some  support for America, regardless where they are from.

Link

When someone goes thru this long tedious naturalization process (for guohua, it took 12 yrs) then yes, I see no reason why they cannot help support the country they made the pledge to.

Unless they just went thru "the motion" and do not feel anything for the U.S. and it's citizens. (shrugs)
Who knows anymore

@"senona" 
Yeah, I agree there Sen - if you've gone through the naturalisation process to become American, then you should BE AMERICAN.
Absolutely. No Question at all.

But the author mentioned... "...differentiate between the true Arab-Muslim-Americans and the Arab-Muslims in our communities ...."

Which I took to be the difference between the naturalised Americans (mentioned above) and the "non-American" Arab-Muslims living there.

That's why I drew the comparison with a US Oil worker, whose job takes him to the M.E.
- He wouldn't be a citizen of that region and I wouldn't expect him to wave their flag and pledge allegiance to them over the USA and it's western allies.
But the author states that is exactly what "Arab-Muslims" living in the USA (not naturalised Americans) should do...

"I demand to know, if you love America. Do you pledge allegiance to its flag?"
" I want to see Arab-Muslims waiving the flag in the streets. I want to hear you chanting "Allah Bless America"

I personally find that to be somewhat illogical and hypocritical.

Sol is correct - that he would be expected to live by an arab nations customs, laws and standards etc if he moved there, and that the USA is more tolerant of wider views, beliefs and actions than they would be, but the author is asking for much more than that.
He is saying very clearly that Arab-Muslims in America should pledge allegiance and wave the flag of the USA.
I would only agree that Arab-Muslim AMERICANS should do that, and I would humbly suggest that to ask citizens of another nation or culture to do that is inappropriate at best.

tbh - I think that all of the views expressed here are much closer to one another than I initially thought!
It's all coming down to interpretation of a few small sections of the letter.

(I also understand that the letter was written in the immediate aftermath of 911, but it is being presented here and now in 2016 and I have to judge it on that basis.)

kindest regards,
BigG

Messages In This Thread
You Worry Me - by Sol - 06-19-2016, 01:24 AM
RE: You Worry Me - by senona - 06-19-2016, 01:37 AM
RE: You Worry Me - by Mystic Wanderer - 06-19-2016, 01:38 AM
RE: You Worry Me - by gordi - 06-19-2016, 09:05 AM
RE: You Worry Me - by Sol - 06-19-2016, 03:07 PM
RE: You Worry Me - by gordi - 06-19-2016, 05:33 PM
RE: You Worry Me - by Minstrel - 06-19-2016, 06:44 PM
RE: You Worry Me - by Sol - 06-19-2016, 08:44 PM
RE: You Worry Me - by senona - 06-19-2016, 11:55 PM