Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
China’s Incredible High-Definition Images of the Lunar Surface.
(06-15-2017, 06:23 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(06-15-2017, 05:32 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Don't you love all the stars you can see from the moon?   tinylaughing  This alone tells us this photo has been "doctored".  Wonder what they have blacked out that they don't want us to see?  Could it be all the bases up there?  

Here's an experiment that you, or anyone else, can try. Most folks have digital cameras these days, if only on a cell phone. Take your favorite camera to ANY nearby city or area with good lighting. Take a photo of those brightly lit buildings AND the starry sky behind and above them. make sure you get both in the shot, as the Chinese did with these pictures. Play with the exposure of you like, and see how many stars you can get in the picture AND clear shots of the lit buildings in the same image.

You can even post them here. I'll be very, very interested to see if there is any way you can get both in the same image. Every time I, or anyone else I know, has tried, they have either gotten the stars, with the foreground an overexposed wash, OR the foreground in sharp detail, but with no stars in the image.

That's because of shutter speed and exposure. If you expose the image long enough for the stars to appear, then everything else has too much light captured on it, and is a wash out. If you get the foreground sharp and clear, you can't capture enough light from the pinpoint stars to get them to show. It's always been either/or, and never both. the only way I've found to get both is to take TWO exposures of the same scene, one way over exposed and one under exposed, and Phototshop them together into a single image.

SO - contrary to the claim that a lack of stars shows a picture to have been "doctored", it's actually the PRESENCE of stars that would show it to have been doctored.

Nice, clear pictures of the lunar surface, though! Kudos for finding them!

Thanks for that explanation.  Makes sense.   minusculethumbsup2

Messages In This Thread
RE: China’s Incredible High-Definition Images of the Lunar Surface. - by Mystic Wanderer - 06-15-2017, 06:28 PM