Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Can't Stop Laughing. What Do You See?
<late to the party (...as usual)>

Interesting video to be sure.  Very unusual.

What I saw as I watched the video was what appeared to be a spring fed body of water down below the camera, in between two rock walls.  Kind of like a mini-canyon with water in the bottom of it.  Down the left side of the video were a series of metal steps anchored into the wall (presumably to permit someone to get down to the water level which, judging by the water marks on the wall, clearly varies quite a bit on a regular basis.  On the right side, it appeared there was some kind of a platform, with some sort of (I assumed) measuring system with a float system as its measuring instrument, attached to some kind of a rope/cable.  The camera appeared to be 12-15 feet above the water.

I will say this; it was not an easy visual to figure out at first glance (because there is no real context, or scale).  I'm still not sure I have it 100% figured out accurately.  I am especially puzzled by the way the water moved.  The title says "earthquake" but, even having been through an earthquake myself, that is not how I would have expected the water to behave...and certainly not for that long a period of time.  Earthquakes do not behave in ways most people expect (and this was certainly true for my first one (I've experienced three of them)).   I always expected an earthquake to "shake", and the three I've been in weren't like that at all!  The best description I can think of is like standing on top of a pool cover, where the surface you're standing on can support you, but the surface underneath is fluid/liquid-like and moving.  In retrospect, thinking about it now, the water motion does kind of make sense because the other thing I always thought very unexpected was the side <--> side motion of an earthquake, like a swaying motion.  I know this much...if there would have been an earthquake going on, I certainly wouldn't have been standing anywhere near a fracture in the ground taking a video!  That's for damn sure!!  I'd have been headed as far away, and as fast as my feets could take me, AWAY from any terrain features like that!!!

FWIW...of the three earthquakes I've experienced, the 1st one was on Oahu in Hawaii, the 2nd one was in Michigan (of all places!), and the most recent one was in Lima, Peru.  I pretty much slept through the one in Hawaii, only waking up because stuff was banging around.  The Michigan one was just bizarre, and very brief, during the middle of the day.  The one in Peru though, well, that one scared the living 'sheet' right outta' me!!  The sudden realization that there is 'nowhere to run to' is an eye-opening experience to say the least!!

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Can't Stop Laughing. What Do You See? - by FlyingClayDisk - 09-28-2022, 05:37 PM