Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Senate hearing on gain-of-function research
(08-05-2022, 09:05 PM)Ninurta Wrote: .

It looks to me like the scariest, most dangerous part of this is that they appear to be searching for risk mitigation strategies rather than an outright ban on penalty of death for GoF research.

There is NO legitimate reason for making viruses more virulent other than use as a weapon. None. Just because Dr. Faucistein is curious is not sufficient cause for endangering the entire planet. There is a reason that biological warfare was outlawed just as atmospheric nuclear testing was. Nowadays, it seems folks routinely ignore international law in the pursuit of a more effective and less discriminate weapon of mass indiscrimiate killing, but if the certainty of some serious "researcher" death were attached to any such research, they might think twice before endangering the rest of us.

We already have the technology to take out these Dr. Faucistein researchers - just ask Ayman al-Zawahiri. So what the hell are we waiting on to enforce the international law in the matter?

You cannot oversee, nor can you be an expert, on something you don't know anything about.

They are playing with fire. No matter how safe, or well contained you think fire is, all it takes is a shift in the wind, an accidental contact with an accelerant, or a sudden or unexpected rise in temperature, and all hell can break loose.

They don't know enough about what they don't know, to be throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks.

Years ago when I first heard about CRISPR, I knew they had opened a Pandora's box, that had no hope inside.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Senate hearing on gain-of-function research - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 08-05-2022, 11:35 PM