Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
History Has Been Made InThe US This Week
I placed this here because history has been made this week by the Supreme Court of the United States.
And the Dem Ones all have got their panties in a wad over them.

Two landmark decisions were handed down this week, for the right to Bare Arms, and the Protection of Life.

First for the over 100 year old law in New York which stated that a person should show cause to get a license to carry a fire arm, which was released yesterday.

Judge Thomas wrote,

Quote:"The constitutional right to bear arms in public for self-defense is not 'a second-class right, subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees,'"Thomas wrote. "We know of no other constitutional right that an individual may exercise only after demonstrating to government officers some special need. That is not how the First Amendment works when it comes to unpopular speech or the free exercise of religion. It is not how the Sixth Amendment works when it comes to a defendant's right to confront the witnesses against him. And it is not how the Second Amendment works when it comes to public carry for self-defense."

Link: Supreme Court strikes down New York gun law, expanding concealed carry rights

I agree, in fact i don't think you should have to have a license at all, but here I might face some disagreement. I do agree that nut jobs and people that have committed and convicted of violent crimes using firearms or any short of weapon shouldn't be able to carry or even own one, that's just common sense.

Also they have not taken away the states rights to pass laws for licensing requirements, just very prohibitive ones. Which is as it should be.

Judges Kavanaugh and    Roberts said, as from above link

Quote:In a concurring opinion by Justice Brett Kavanaugh and joined by Chief Justice John Roberts, Kavanuagh noted the court's decision does not prohibit states from imposing licensing requirements for carrying handguns, and leaves untouched existing regimes in 43 states. Instead, it only impacts more stringent licensing rules in affect in six states, including New York.

Second, Roe v Wade has been thrown out, as it should be. The Constitution doesn't mentions abortions any where in any clause amendment or code. In fact there are only three crimes mentioned in it, they are Treason, Piracy and Counterfeiting. all other laws are covered under the Necessary And Proper Clause, and Commerce Clause, and even in those there was nothing written or passed.

Not going to go into my thoughts on this other than to say, again it should be left up to the states to govern on this.

What gets me is that people are fussing saying they have done away with  both of these. No they haven't they have just taken it out of the federal purview and given it back to the states, except for protecting a written right.

[Image: TWBB.png]

Messages In This Thread
History Has Been Made InThe US This Week - by hounddoghowlie - 06-24-2022, 04:23 PM