Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
If You Seek a Beautiful Peninsula...
(04-21-2022, 03:29 PM)DontTreadOnMe Wrote:
(04-21-2022, 04:34 AM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: Just when you think the resources of our great state were tapped out by the robber barons, they find something else to exploit. They mined salt, copper, iron, sand, gravel, cut timber, pumped water, fished, hunted and destroyed natural habitats by conversion to agriculture. ETA: Forgot to mention that the state burned over twice after the massive logging in the 1800s and shipping commerce has caused a freshwater invasive species problem.

The whole damn state would be an empty desert if there wasn't some conservation efforts.

Check out this story -

Big Prairie Desert Story

Thanks for your reply, actually I was looking forward to it as IIRC you live near a wetland.

I have a big problem with anyone or any company pumping waste water into the ground that could poison the water table. I also don't like companies pumping up more than their share from a water well or anyone interfering with the creek that runs though my place.

I do however support private water rights like my water well, although it's too late for surface waters, that's in trust with the state and federal government. So because I have no surface water rights, obviously I can't alter my swamp and may have trouble with any agriculture I may want to do even though I'm zoned agricultural/residential. I thought of planting wild rice in the swamp, the kind Native Americans used, maybe it's a product I can sell. Technically it's a native wetland plant, I might even be able to get a grant to plant it, sounds iffy though.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If You Seek a Beautiful Peninsula... - by Michigan Swamp Buck - 04-22-2022, 04:00 AM