Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
If You Seek a Beautiful Peninsula...
I know there are a few Michiganders on R-N3.
I wonder how many of them and other R-N3ers have heard of the latest attempt of Big Agri to rape the land.
They want to farm potash from under the ground in central Michigan, presumably without doing due diligence.
Probably with more than a few greased palms though tinyok tinywhat

The country’s largest potash mine is coming to Michigan. Here’s why locals are worried.

Quote:A mile and a half below Doug Miller’s backyard in central Michigan lie the remnants of an ancient salty sea. When the waters receded around 350 million years ago, they left behind thick deposits of potash, a commonly used fertilizer. For Miller, a retired engineer, the stuff is out of sight, but top of mind, as the company Michigan Potash & Salt has sought to build a mining facility next door. 
The facility would pull vast amounts of groundwater from the same aquifer as Miller’s. “I highly expect if they actually do this, my well would run dry,” he said.
The mine in the rural township of Evart has been in the works since 2012, and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has raised the stakes. With its close ally Belarus, the two countries produce 40 percent of the world’s potash, which is rich in potassium, one of three essential plant nutrients. Prices were already on the rise, and shutting off major providers from global markets is expected to keep pushing them up. So the U.S., which imports nearly all of its potash, is looking to support domestic sources, like the planned mine next to Miller’s property.
BTW, the article says we get 83% of our potash from Canada, which AFAIK is not near the Ukraine and not part of the Russian sanctions.
It's not bad enough we allow Nestle to steal our water.
"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind-killer.  Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. 
I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.  And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.  Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain." Frank Herbert, Dune

Messages In This Thread
If You Seek a Beautiful Peninsula... - by DontTreadOnMe - 04-21-2022, 12:03 AM