Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Expanding My Music Collection
FlyingClayDisk
(04-10-2022, 03:01 PM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: ...

... It has a small mixing board and with some creative use of audio adapters I can now make some high quality audio from Youtube videos.

Quote:FlyingClayDisk

I suspect you may already know this, but unfortunately, you can't really do that.  You can't put sound back into a recording, you can only manipulate the frequencies/sounds which are remaining / there to manipulate.  Compression technology has already removed upwards of 30% of the frequency response (in some cases even more than that) out of your starting point.  You can't put that back into what you hear because it has been removed from the recording medium (actually, it was never there to begin with as it was eliminated during the production and distribution stages).

Compression has all but destroyed the notion of "quality" audiophile grade music in the music industry.  And the hell of it is, most people don't even realize it, nor do they understand it.  This is like the boiling a frog scenario.  The quality of music recording, or should I say 'distribution' has gone incrementally and steadily downhill for the past 3-4 decades.  When people began to accept the crappy fidelity response of MP3 and other compression technology, this was the beginning of the end.  Now, that same compression technology is being used for a different / additional purpose...to hide sub-par musical talent.

On a side note...next time somebody asks you why the commercials on the television seem louder than the program you're watching, you can tell them to thank the same compression technology for that.  If you measure the sound pressure levels you will see they are actually lower on the commercials, so why do they seem louder?  Because much of the frequency response has been removed so you only hear what they want you to hear, and nothing else.  All the rest of the response has been 'clipped'.  When it comes to music, that's not "music"...it's deception!

Sorry, man.  I agree, it sucks!

I didn't mean that I was getting HD studio master quality recordings, just high quality compared to back in the cassette days so I changed the OP wording to "decent quality". I did give consideration to that though, at most I can adjust what I can but the system I use isn't that great either, so what I've produced isn't noticeably bad really.

I thought about how the compressed signal could be expanded or stretched to fill the spectrum, but that is beyond what audacity freeware is capable of doing. I've done much with it though. I was able to create a stereo effect out of a mono audio signal from an old VHS video of a live band performance. It convincingly separated the signal with consideration to what was on stage. There is much better software I'm sure that you could do a lot more with.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Expanding My Music Collection - by Ninurta - 04-10-2022, 04:30 PM
RE: Expanding My Music Collection - by Michigan Swamp Buck - 04-11-2022, 04:26 AM
RE: Expanding My Music Collection - by kdog - 04-11-2022, 04:47 AM
RE: Expanding My Music Collection - by SnrRog - 04-11-2022, 11:32 PM