Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Air Tags or 5G Networks - You Pick
So, the wife and I upgraded our phones the other day down at Sam's Club.  That meant buying a new case on Amazon.  While I was looking around, I kept noticing these Air Tags and figured I'd surprise the wife with a little something extra. Now, we live a little ways into the boonies, and though we've got a decent wired Internet connection and good LOS on a cell tower, we're probably low on the upgrade list for the new-fangled infrastructure being rolling out.

If you don't have an iPhone it's probably a waste of time shplaining their features and how they work.  If you do have one, you've prolly figured all that stuff out by now on yer own.

I don't know why, but I stuck one of these extra air tag boogers onto my dog's collar.  Kind'a neat that you can name the tag and assign an icon to it.  The tags are supposed to have some proximity transmission capability.  If the tag gets outside of a 'detection range' of about 10 or 15 feet, you can't track it from your cell (which is pretty cool technology to look at all by itself).  First time I drove away from the house, my phone shows me a dog icon and says, "Luke has been left behind."  **I turned around and put him in the truck, BTW ... love that dog ... giggle**

What I noticed (the reason for starting this thread), was that out here in the woods, those air tags don't work so great.  Signal is off and on.  Tracking is mostly non-existent ... sporadic at best.  In town though, it's a whole 'nuther story.  The closest big town to us just went 5G.  Doesn't matter where we park around there, the Air Tags are always visible.  Their proximity (using the Find My app) is ALWAYS to within a few feet of the device. The way they're advertised, there's no guarantee they'll work unless they're within 10 feet of a device (my thoughts said, "Cell phone.") loaded with an app (plus bluetooth) that'll relay the Air Tag's signal.  Doesn't seem to be the case when you're under a 5G umbrella.  It never stops identifying and broadcasting the specific location of the tag.

Anyway, those are my initial observations and thoughts.  Was wondering what other opinions there are out there.
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!

Messages In This Thread
Air Tags or 5G Networks - You Pick - by Snarl - 03-30-2022, 01:42 PM
RE: Air Tags or 5G Networks - You Pick - by Snarl - 03-30-2022, 02:17 PM
RE: Air Tags or 5G Networks - You Pick - by Snarl - 03-30-2022, 04:07 PM
RE: Air Tags or 5G Networks - You Pick - by Snarl - 03-31-2022, 11:47 AM