Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do Gender Studies programs create activists?
(03-26-2022, 12:17 AM)DesertBorn Wrote: Gender Studies used to be called Women's Studies, in some schools.   I guess it morphed.  Just like ‘female’ and ‘feminism’ have morphed too.   Progress!

Cool! I feel like I might be qualified to teach such a course on a collegiate level - I've been studying wimmins all my life!

Still haven't really figured them out, but I think all that study should count for something!

They didn't have such a thing when I was in high school, although they may have had it by the time I got to university. I can't say, because no one ever talked to me about such potentials back then. I doubt many people noticed if they had such a thing. Most folks were far more interested in studying the opposite sex, and beer. everyone wanted to really study beer hard. I was "the old guy" by then, as I was a good 10 or 12 years older than most of those kids, so they all wanted me to help them study, mostly because I was old enough to buy beer, and could put deposits on kegs.

I did do a turn as a nude model for the art classes for a while, and no one came around to tell me about how I was being oppressed by The Man or anything for taking off my clothes in front of a bunch of girls and standing still like a statue for an hour or so at a time... but then again, colleges have never really been interested in Men's Liberation, so I guess that's understandable. That job was my first wife's fault, by the way - she talked me into that. She also tried to talk me into being a male stripper at a women's club, but I had to draw the line somewhere - you ever been in one of those places? Them women in  'em are crazy, and got no shame at all!

There's a reason she's my ex..

But you are correct that gender studies should not be paid for by the public dime. No more than keg parties should be paid for by public funds. Neither is a real, actual, useful thing to provide tangible benefit to the public paying for it by enhancing productivity. Kinda like in the same way you can't buy liquor with food stamps, because the public is under no obligation to support your personal hobbies.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Gender Studies programs create activists? - by Ninurta - 03-26-2022, 01:53 AM