Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do you have unusual Thanksgiving traditions?
Nah, no real thanksgiving traditions. One day is pretty much the same as the next to me. My family is having a big get-together at my sister's house, but I ain't going. A brother in law that I don't get along with at all is there, and I'd rather not ruin their holiday by repeatedly knocking him on his ass, so I stay home. There's a reason, two or three reasons in fact, I'd knock him on his ass, but to keep the peace I stay away, and he stays away from me. 

I'm not big on turkey, so Grace substitutes with a cornish game hen for her (call it simulated or shrunken turkey I reckon) and a small ham for me. Neither of us is up to cooking today, so "thanksgiving" will probably be tomorrow instead. A moveable feast day I suppose.

Regarding "Alice's Restaurant", I was in college at a small, private, Liberal Arts college (Virginia Intermont - I don't think it even exits any more) and went home for the weekend one weekend. When I got back that Sunday evening, everyone on campus was calling me "Arlo", and I had no damned idea why. As it turned out, they'd shown "Alice's Restaurant" - the movie - while I was gone, and in those days I was a dead ringer for Arlo Guthrie (we could've been identical twins), so the name stuck. I was kicked out of that school after about a month, and the protest write-ups in the school paper referred to me as "Arlo" as well.

Christmas is a "moveable holiday" for me, too. When I was married to my first wife, we celebrated Christmas in late January or early February so we could take advantage of the after-Christmas sales. I'm just a cheap bastard, I reckon.

ETA: Just for grins and giggles, I checked up on good old Virginia Intermont, and it is indeed closed now. It closed down due to financial concerns, ironically the same reason they kicked me out of it. They had given me a scholarship and then revoked it, wanting me to take out student loans instead after they had already admitted me, and a month into classes, and I was unwilling. The vacant campus appears to have been bought up by (SURPRISE!) the Chinese, with intent to create an "International School" of some kind there.

I was enrolled as an Art student under the world famous sculptor (in junkyard trash as a medium) Marvin Tadlock. There is a story there too, of a drunken art binge the night before a project was due that I did, and made an A+ on the project despite the drunken stupor I created it in, but I digress.

Apparently, when they were undergoing their "financial troubles", they kept sending me duns as an "alumni", wanted me to send them money to bail them out. Given the nature of my departure, nothin' doin', hoss. They wouldn't bail me out when I needed it, and I felt a compulsion to return the favor.

What goes around comes around.

The Chinese bought a pig in a poke - they paid 3.3 million for a campus that stands in need of 20 million in repairs, and still owes 5 million in salaries to former faculty and staff. I reckon that's OK - China seems to have money to burn these days.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do you have unusual Thanksgiving traditions? - by Ninurta - 11-25-2021, 08:09 PM