Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is The World Getting Old ?
I'm in agreement with @"F2d5thCav" - It's not "the world" that is accelerating towards destruction, it is the current societal systems racing to the end at an ever accelerating and breakneck speed. I'm not sure what comes after, but the world will continue, with or without us. I also tend to agree with him that there is a New Dark Age coming, as happens every few centuries. The "Great Reset" will probably be that, rather than what anyone, Klaus Schwab included, thinks it will be.

Civilizations and society have been undergoing such "resets", always beginning with a "dark age", since at least 1200 BC, the time of the Great Bronze Age Collapse. The difference this time around is that in all previous incarnations of collapse, it was fairly localized to a continent, but this time, the entire world is connected, and so will likely all fall down at around the same time, everywhere.

There will be no other civilization over the horizon to sweep in and pick us back up. We will have to do that ourselves, by our own bootstraps, so it may take longer than previous events to get there...

... and when humanity DOES "get there", will they have learned anything at all from this collapse? History vs. human nature says no, we will not have learned a damned thing, and will just ride onward until the next collapse.

I am just comforted by the knowledge that nothing lasts forever but the Earth and Sky, and that I too will end, and so probably not have to live entirely through the next Dark Age. When one becomes aware of his own finiteness at a gut level, he realizes that you don't have to sweat the small shit, and that EVERYTHING in the grand scheme of things is "small shit". Nothing is forever, not societies, nor the collapse of them, nor the puny humans who have to struggle through them - but only for a brief time. There is always an end to troubles, one way or another.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
Is The World Getting Old ? - by Kenzo - 11-07-2021, 02:16 PM
RE: Is The World Getting Old ? - by F2d5thCav - 11-07-2021, 05:51 PM
RE: Is The World Getting Old ? - by Kenzo - 11-07-2021, 07:37 PM
RE: Is The World Getting Old ? - by Ninurta - 11-07-2021, 09:22 PM
RE: Is The World Getting Old ? - by 727Sky - 11-08-2021, 01:28 PM
RE: Is The World Getting Old ? - by ABNARTY - 11-10-2021, 01:58 AM
RE: Is The World Getting Old ? - by Kenzo - 11-11-2021, 07:29 AM