Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Grand Mosaic of the Milky Way Galaxy II
(10-26-2021, 09:21 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 04:03 PM)Kenzo Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 07:46 PM)Ninurta Wrote: Fantastic image! It does an excellent job of showing the stellar density and gaseous nature of the Milky Way disk.

Why there is gases ? I mean i allways thought space is vacuum and dont have oxygen ,gases much....

So those giant nebulas areas are very different areas ?, not like the space between Earth and Moon ?

Confusing...

Space is a relative vacuum, rather than an absolute vacuum. Gas and dust are present everywhere, but it's a matter of molecules per cubic centimeter - space has a lot less of them. Where you see nebulas, there is a relative concentration of gas and dust, but not nearly enough of it to allow for breathing or to keep a body from exploding due to it's internal pressure.

You only see them because while there are few molecules of gas per cubic centimeter, there are a whole lot of cubic centimeters there to contain gasses, and that concentration, slight though it is, is what shows up as a nebula. It's only a "concentration" of gases relative to surrounding areas with even less gas per cubic centimeter.

It's like being in a smoke filled room - the air is not thicker, heavier, or denser, it's just more visibly smokier.

Thanks, that was good explanation about the thing .
Rumor is, there is also darkmatter or anti-matter or something....but that`s over my brain capabilitys tinywhat to fully understand

I only know that before jumping to lightspeed, you better have your calculations right.....to avoid collisions minusculerolleyes

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Grand Mosaic of the Milky Way Galaxy II - by Kenzo - 10-28-2021, 06:29 PM