Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The American Bumblebee Has Vanished From Eight States
A poster on the other thread pointed out that the American bumble bee is only one type. I looked at a field guide for Michigan and it had 23 different kinds. The American and two others closely resemble each other but their ranges differ. I suspect you'd have to be well researched to prove what type of bumble bees you may find in your area after looking into that.

The bees I saw in the yard today looked like the pictures I found on line and fit the description pretty well, but it's possible I'm too far north for the American bumble bee. I can't really know without some deeper research and real scrutiny like capturing one, measuring it, and studying it carefully, even then I'm no expert and would likely have to find one to verify which bee it is.

ETA: I found a good article for the American bumble bee in Michigan from MSU's Michigan Natural Features Inventory. 

Quote:This species favors prairies and grasslands and is rarely associated with extensive forests. Considered a foraging generalist, this bumble bee will regularly visit floral resources in dunes, marshes, forest edges, farmland and urban areas. Known foraging resources include milk-vetches (Astragalus spp.), thistles (Cirsium spp.), dogwoods (Cornus spp.), prairie-clovers (Dalea spp.), and sunflowers (Helianthus spp.), among other species (Wood et al. 2019). Nests are above ground among tufts of long grass, but occasionally occur underground in old rodent burrows. This species can also occupy agricultural landscapes, however associated pressures such as ground management and pesticides may restrict populations in these areas. Most Bombus queens overwinter in rotten wood or underground (COSEWIC 2010).

https://mnfi.anr.msu.edu/species/descrip...sylvanicus

It looks like my county is in their range and I know where the habitats are, I think I have a chance of identifying some with this information. It is not too likely the ones I saw were American bumble bees here in the woods, but it's possible with the mix of habitat around here.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The American Bumblebee Has Vanished From Eight States - by Michigan Swamp Buck - 10-11-2021, 03:52 AM