Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dispelling The Myths about Methamphetamines and The War On Drugs!
(06-26-2021, 04:30 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(06-26-2021, 03:43 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: I'll just say this OL...  you are a unique individual. I'm glad you are able to function as well as you do taking meth like that. 
I've seen first-hand what meth and other drugs do to some people, and how it destroys families. 
Everyone's body is different, and while you seem to have things under control, others don't. 
They abuse it to the point of hallucinating, which creates a false reality for them. Sometimes this false reality can cause them to harm others, not to mention putting buying the drug before and above being responsible for the bills they owe. The people around them suffer with worry and lack of things they cannot afford; the money has been spent on drugs/meth. 

I won't go any further. I'll just say, you are one of the lucky ones who has learned how to manage your meth addiction; most aren't so lucky.

That right there is a human problem rather than a drug problem. Some folks have "addictive personalities" that lead them into drug use with a concurrent inability to control themselves. That seems to be getting more prevalent in this day and age, with more and more people embracing the concept that, for some reason, self control is a bad thing. Once they get to that point, drugs are irrelevant, since the lack of self control is within themselves, rather than within the drug. It's the result of an overly permissive society. If their society does not demand self control, most people will simply abandon it. Society has taken to allowing people to blame their own internal shortcomings on an external chemical substance, and lets them get away with it.

I firmly believe addictions, like everything else, can be controlled - if the individual wants to control it. Years and years ago, I used to ingest all manner of psychoactive substances. Then one day I sat thinking, decided that wasn't fun any more, and just quit all of them, cold turkey. It was just a matter of deciding and doing. When I got married the first time, that ex made me promise to quit smoking within 6 months of the wedding. 6 months to the day later, I laid down the cigarettes and stopped smoking for 8 years. Didn't pick them up again until I took up with the woman who would become my second wife.

My third wife was a coke head for years, and then just quit and stayed clean for the next 23 years or so, until the day she died. She had an "addictive personality", but was able to overcome it with sufficient incentive, an incentive that society no longer provides for people.

It's just a matter of will power, mind over matter... and it all starts with a simple decision followed up by determination. Some substances are physically addictive, but even those can be dropped with enough determination and self control - it's just that society no longer requires people to control their damned selves, so if they have no internal compass, they just run wild because it's allowed them to, and society lets them get away with blaming it on the drugs.

If we have enough self control to drop the drugs, we also have enough self control to manage them... but the Permissive Society has allowed people to blame bad behavior on an external substance, so they do, because they can. it's not the drugs fault, it's the individual's fault if they have no control.

Hit the nail on the head Ninurta.  I got all fucked up on Percocet for years.  I simply loved the way they made me feel, I wished they came with a PEZ dispenser.  I had a great upbringing, so it wasn't mommy and daddy's fault, all my own, through bad choices and worse friends.

When my first daughter was born I made the choice to get clean.  I got into a program with medication, and it helped me get where I am.  I'm not sure I would have if I never had kids, they're the ultimate motivation.

But you're right, if you want to get clean, you have to WANT to get clean.
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dispelling The Myths about Methamphetamines and The War On Drugs! - by Schmoe1 - 06-28-2021, 02:13 AM