Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Facebook Ain't Flagging This Story? My Goodness!
@"Ninurta" 

Quote:That's been 50 years ago or so, and we've not heard the first shot in that war yet. As a matter of fact, Democrat policies have driven it entorely the other way, into MORE pverty rather than less, by ending coal mining and tobacco growing, which were the only two pillars holding our economy up here. Our economy has since crashed and burned, resulting in higher poverty rather than lower.

Yep.  The country turned its back on Appalachia a half century ago.  When the region was noticed, it was for exploitation by the creatures of Hollywood with shows like Petticoat Junction, The Beverly Hillbillies, etc.  NEVER a serious look at life there or the abandonment of the region by the rest of the country who imagined they were too sophisticated for the likes of Appalachia.

For a brief period, the book series "Foxfire" looked at real people and their lives in the region.  Those books are mostly forgotten today, I'd guess, but they are worthy of at least occasional dips and can be read in non-sequential bits.

[Image: foxfire.jpg]

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Facebook Ain't Flagging This Story? My Goodness! - by F2d5thCav - 12-20-2020, 09:23 AM