Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I ran over our dog. Part III. The Surgeon.
A very good morning to you all from here.  Was woken just after midnight by one of our small dogs howling in his sleep.  So I woke him up.  All good.  Following that I couldn't go back to sleep so now it is 3.10am (Saturday) here and I thought I post as a follow on for our dog polar/girlie.  Most in part to the well wishes and support we have received.

We were up before dawn yesterday, wife, son and I and took the trip into town.  Waited outside the vet office for a short time and was let in.  There was some kind of other emergency going on so we had to wait a little longer to see girlie.  They bought her out all wrapped up.  Poor dog was limping of course and had a very sad look.  Wasn't really responsive to us.  We'd prepared the rear of the car with soft doonas and room for my son.  (our navigator).  Very slowly and not without pain we lifted girlie into the car and set a course south to the coast clinic to meet with the surgeon there.

It was difficult again upon arrival to get girlie out of the car without pain resulting in her panting and whimpering.  Really hard to take.  Anyway we went into the surgery and luckily we were first up.

The surgeon asked the usual q's and we filled out the paperwork.  He had checked all girlie's x rays but to be certain he could perform an operation with pins and or fusing bones he wished to perform more detailed x rays and would need girlie in at least until Monday afternoon.

A few questions and answers regarding the surgery and he answered them articulately and in a manner we all understood.  He did venture that if girlie could not be operated on here then he could refer us to a 'highly' specialized surgeons in Sydney or Brisbane. 6 hours and 4 hours respectively by car.  A large proportion of Sydney is locked down due to Covid and the border into Queensland (Brisbane) requires special permits to cross and there would be no guarantee we would be allowed back in the future so the option of amputation was discussed.

Sorry but yes, if it came to that.  The surgeon would give it his best shot at repairing the damage first.  So we left 'girlie' on the coast trying to be lighthearted joking she gets a weekend at Coffs Harbor but the mood was quiet on the return trip home. 

Our other 3 dogs investigated the car looking for girlie and I pulled the doonas out and placed them in a corner of the house where the dogs sniffed and laid down on them.  Kinda like they were looking for her.  We went back to work and delivered a couple of loads of wood but perhaps guiltily I slowed at that corner of the driveway where I ran over her.  Will ring the surgery later this morning to check on her welfare.  

We are all missing her.

Kind regards and good vibes to all,

Bally

Messages In This Thread
I ran over our dog. Part III. The Surgeon. - by Bally002 - 07-24-2020, 06:40 PM