Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I’ve volunteered to be a guinea pig for a COVID-19 vaccine
(07-18-2020, 01:02 PM)Sol Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 02:16 AM)ChiefD Wrote: Yesterday, I did something I never thought I would do. I found a website where I signed up to volunteer to get a COVID-19 vaccine. I was inspired by news articles that stated that people were volunteering to try out various vaccines to combat COVID-19. I am at an age where I feel it could benefit to see how it affects those over 50. I am 56 years old, and live on my own now that my husband is permanently in a nursing home due to a stroke he had in February. I just feel I want to make a mark and help others. Yeah, I know it’s risky. Perhaps my mindset has changed a little since this pandemic started. Instead of becoming more fearful, I decided to be a little more daring. I think I have a purpose here, and I believe God is gently nudging me along this path.  

I haven’t told anyone in my family I have done this. I feel my Mom and Dad would be freaked out, and telling my husband is not an option at this point. The last thing I want to do is make him anxious. So I guess this is my little secret, hence my stating it on here. None of you know who I am, so I feel comfortable talking about this on this site.  

Am I batshit crazy? Maybe. I do feel strongly committed to doing this though. Whenever I feel that way, I go with my gut. I have faith I’ll be okay in the end. I cannot sit around and do nothing. I served my country for 20 years in the Navy. Now I want to serve my country in a different way. Let’s hope this works out. 

If your decision is made and final, you have all my respect. But if you're still on the fence, here is an article saying what needs to be said about vaccine clinical trials:

Human clinical trials begin for Quebec-made coronavirus vaccine candidate, but CEO urges caution

[Image: medicago-coronavirus-vaccine-trial.jpg]

Quote:Bruce Clark, president and CEO of the biopharmaceutical company Medicago, cautioned observers against holding unrealistic assumptions that his product — or any of the numerous vaccine hopefuls in development globally — can bring the pandemic to a screeching halt if proven viable.

Clark noted that more than 120 companies are trying to come up with vaccines to protect against COVID-19, many of which have never been in the vaccine space before.

Emphasis is mine. THAT is something to reflect on...And even with reputable labs, they really are in the very, very early stages of clinical testing..

Quote:"Whatever vaccine we get in this first round — unless it's a miracle — it's not going to be perfect," said Clark, whose company began trials for its proposed vaccine Monday in Quebec City.

"It's going to have to undergo development, it's going to take probably years to come up with an understanding of the right vaccine, the right approach. It's not the panacea.

"To assume that we can have, in 18 months, the solution to a pandemic that comes around once in a generation, is naive."

What worries me here, and there are no mentions of it, is the side effects to the clinical testings.

Yet again, this is just my personal opinion.

Sol.
And unfortunately the side effects are not known for months or even sometimes years

Messages In This Thread
RE: I’ve volunteered to be a guinea pig for a COVID-19 vaccine - by 727Sky - 07-18-2020, 01:08 PM