Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jeff Sessions loses comeback bid in Alabama runoff
(07-15-2020, 11:31 AM)MarioOnTheFly Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 11:10 AM)TheRedneck Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 09:08 AM)MarioOnTheFly Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 06:42 AM)727Sky Wrote: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/50...ama-runoff
Quote:Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions failed in his bid to reclaim his old Senate seat after losing to former Auburn University football coach Tommy Tuberville in the Alabama GOP runoff on Tuesday. 
Tuberville was leading Sessions 63 percent to 37 percent with 35 percent of precincts reporting, according to The Associated Press.
The former football coach will go on to face Sen. Doug Jones (D-Ala.) in November. Jones is considered the most vulnerable Democrat facing reelection in 2020 in a race The Cook Political Report rates as "Lean Republican."
The runoff comes months after the state's Republican primary in March, when neither Sessions nor Tuberville cleared a majority.  
Sessions congratulated Tuberville in a speech.

I had wondered how this would play out after Trump endorsed T. Tuberville.. Wonder no more ... minusculebeercheers

I missed the reason why Sessions and Trump fell apart. Care to break it down for me ?

Sessions decided his job as Attorney General was to keep his office chair from flying off into space. In other words, all he did was use his ass as a seat cover polishing cloth.

He let the whole state down. I was crowing all over ATS about Sessions being "a bulldog with gator teeth." I expected him to accomplish great things as US AG like he did as Alabama's AG. Instead, he did nothing... absolutely nothing. That felt like he just kicked the whole state in the jewels.

In the Primary, I voted for Tuberville, mainly because of Sessions. I couldn't support Judge Roy this time, since Judge Roy laid down and rolled over last time around. He's the reason Jones got in there.

I'll admit, I was torn today when I voted. Sessions let me down as AG, but he did pretty good before that as Senator. Tuberville talks the talk, but he also has this habit of state-jumping that I don't like one bit. I think the clincher was last night: I got a phone call from the Tuberville campaign with a recorded session between him and Donald Trump. Trump, at least in that session, strongly advised against Sessions and strongly supported Tuberville.

I don't always listen to who Trump wants... I make up my own mind... but with both of them having potential black spots on their record, that made the difference for me. I voted Tuberville. I hope he turns out to support Alabama, even over the GOP. I don't just want a conservative in office; I want a conservative who thinks, not a puppet for either side.

The way the race played out (Tuberville over Sessions almost 2:1), my biggest worry about Tuberville being able to oust that disgraceful excuse for intelligent life named Doug Jones is mostly alleviated. That's the real issue right now: get Jones out of office (and as far as I'm concerned, out of the damn state... we don't need his elitist, lying ass here using up perfectly good oxygen and stinkin' up the state).

TheRedneck

And the recusal ? do you hold it against him or its just his overall job performance ?

His recusal was pretty much his entire job performance. What else did Sessions do besides recuse himself? I can't think of anything.

Alabama may be known for our corrupt politics (we did hire Governor James "Big Jim" Folsom - the "honest crook"), but we do expect our politicians to do more than sit there like a bump on a log. The idea was to drain the swamp, and it seems we have just drained at least one of those swamp critters.

TheRedneck

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jeff Sessions loses comeback bid in Alabama runoff - by TheRedneck - 07-15-2020, 11:56 AM