Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MAKING YOUR OWN CHARCLOTH TINDER FOR SURVIVAL FIRE-STARTING
MAKING YOUR OWN CHARCLOTH TINDER:

There are a few basic requirements that we will all need for Survival, if (and when) the SHTF.
Water, Food and Shelter are the obvious ones, but have you thought about how you're going to make fire?

The ability to create Fire was one of the greatest advances in human history, and it can quite literally save your life if you have the know-how to create your own.

Matches and Lighters are all very well in the short term... but I imagine that they would run out fairly quickly in a long-term survival situation.

So, I always use a Fire-Steel and striker to create the spark for my camp-fires.
They are very cheap to buy, extremely portable and last a very long time even in tough conditions.

The trouble is... they only produce the spark, and that spark needs to be brought to life via a very dry/combustible material called "tinder" which will allow the spark to survive and grow into a glowing ember, which in turn can be used to ignite your fire.
Natural tinders aren't always guaranteed to be available, especially in damp or wet conditions.
So, it would be very beneficial to have a reliable method of producing our own tinder, to complement the fire-steel fire starting method.

The short video below explains one simple way to make your own "CharCloth" tinder out of nothing more than old scraps of cotton material, (such as a cleaning rag or old cotton T-Shirt) and a Travel Sweet Tin!

(My apologies for the poor sound quality on this one)

Kindest regards,
BigG

Messages In This Thread
MAKING YOUR OWN CHARCLOTH TINDER FOR SURVIVAL FIRE-STARTING - by gordi - 10-20-2016, 10:54 AM