Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Elector Refuses to Vote the Will Of The People
The article, in its entirety is written by Texas Elector Christopher Suprun, and I checked, he is a real elector in the state of Texas. The title of the article is Why I WILL NOT Cast My Electoral Vote for Donald Trump.

Quote:.....now I am asked to cast a vote on Dec. 19 for someone who shows daily he is not qualified for the office....

The election of the next president is not yet a done deal. Electors of conscience can still do the right thing for the good of the country. Presidential electors have the legal right and a constitutional duty to vote their conscience. I believe electors should unify behind a Republican alternative, an honorable and qualified man or woman such as Gov. John Kasich of Ohio. I pray my fellow electors will do their job and join with me in discovering who that person should be.

Fifteen years ago, I swore an oath to defend my country and Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. On Dec. 19, I will do it again.

Source

I have looked into this man, Politico reported some time back that he was someone who said he would have a difficult time voting for Trump should he win the state of Texas, but then he later recanted, and claimed he never said that.

Source

So, I cannot but think he likely did write this article stating that he was not going to vote for Trump on December the 19th.

Texas, is one of 21 states without faithless elector laws, so he will face no state penalty for abstaining to vote, or for voting for someone other than Trump.

Source

There is a concerted effort among democrats to convince republican electors to go against the vote of their states and vote for someone else.

Quote:At least a half-dozen Democratic electors have signed onto an attempt to block Donald Trump from winning an Electoral College majority, an effort designed not only to deny Trump the presidency but also to undermine the legitimacy of the institution.

The presidential electors, mostly former Bernie Sanders supporters who hail from Washington state and Colorado, are now lobbying their Republican counterparts in other states to reject their oaths — and in some cases, state law — to vote against Trump when the Electoral College meets on Dec. 19.

Source

Now, with Donald Trump having 309 electoral votes, you would think his hold on winning the electoral college is solid, even if he looses a few of the electors votes in the 19th.

But this might not be completely true. Michigan was ordered by a federal judge to go forward with the recount on Monday, even though according to Michigan state law any recount has to be done by hand (not machines), and the recount has to be certified by December 13th. That gave them 8 days to do a recount of the entire state, by hand.

Michigan as a result, if it cannot get the recount done in time, stands to loose all of its electoral votes in the college. Basically, if the recount is not certified, the people of Michigan have no voice in this election.

Source

In the end, while this is a long shot, and a last ditch effort if the votes in a state Like Michigan can be disenfranchised of their electoral college votes, perhaps another state as well as recounts are ongoing in four states I believe, coupled with a few faithless electors, this ditch effort might put the election results on rocky ground.

Ultimately, however, it will fail, as in all such instances like this it would be placed before the House if these republican faithless electors vote for someone other than Clinton, and the House would then vote on the matter. With the Republicans in the control of the House, and Trump giving establishment republicans in cabinet positions, it should go to Trump in the end.

Ultimately, this last ditch effort, seems more an effort to make people loose confidence in the electoral college, and the real issue now rears its ugly head - for if people loose confidence in the electoral college and remove the college from our election system, the democrats will never loose another election again in the future history of our nation, and the large coastal cities will run this entire country, and the many and disparate people's in states throughout this nation, will be disenfranchised once and for all of their voice.

We cannot allow this to happen, we cannot allow them to undermine our electoral college. The founders gave us this system for our benefit, and it behooves us not to forget it.

To wrap up with the heartwarming - John Kasich made a wonderful statement today, denouncing the faithless electors who are talking about voting for him, and told them not to bother casting their vote for him.  Source

Messages In This Thread
Elector Refuses to Vote the Will Of The People - by Grace - 12-07-2016, 01:54 AM