Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Doomsday ‘Preppers’ Warn of Hard Times Ahead As Preparedness Goes Mainstream
(04-02-2022, 05:24 AM)rickymouse Wrote: We still need to get more powdered milk and crystal eggs, maybe we will have to get a few chickens for eggs too.....but that means we have to stock chicken foods if we do that.

Get Game Chickens, the "fighting rooster" kind. They do most of their own foraging, keeping feed needs to a minimum. The downside is trying to keep them in a coop and having to hunt nests for eggs. I know this because that is what we raised when I was back on the farm. Could not keep them in a coop and allow them to forage at the same time, and when they were let out to forage, they started roosting in trees in the woods. The hens would hide their nests in the weeds, and we had to hunt them down to get eggs. The hens helped with the hunt, however, since they would cackle every time they laid an egg to let the other hens know there was a nest there in case they had an egg to lay, too.

They defend themselves, too. I have seen a momma game hen whoop the shit out of a hawk trying to get her chicks, and then whoop the hawk some more for shitting.

They are not to be trifled with - the exact kind of chicken for a self-reliant sort of guy.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Doomsday ‘Preppers’ Warn of Hard Times Ahead As Preparedness Goes Mainstream - by Ninurta - 04-02-2022, 05:39 AM