Rogue-Nation3
Overwintering Pepper Plants For The First Time - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation3 (https://rogue-nation3.com)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation3.com/forum-49.html)
+--- Forum: The Gardener's Backyard (https://rogue-nation3.com/forum-110.html)
+--- Thread: Overwintering Pepper Plants For The First Time (/thread-9273.html)

Overwintering Pepper Plants For The First Time - VioletDove - 10-15-2022

I just checked the forecast and it’s supposed to get down to 32F Wednesday night. I’ve been working on getting my plants inside the greenhouse and like every year I stare sadly at my beautiful pepper plants knowing that their days are numbered. Well this year will be different! I found a YouTube tutorial. I can feel my husband’s shudder of despair as I type those words and he’s not even in here. He’s a brave man but nothing strikes fear in his heart like me proudly and confidently announcing that I have found a tutorial.  

I’m sure this isn’t new to a lot of you but it is to me. I shouldn’t screw this up too bad. I’ll hopefully be able to save several plants and report back that it was a success when spring rolls back around.

He explains it really well but I know I’m still going to be sad cutting all those leaves off.

Also while cleaning and preparing my greenhouse I found a snake and several spiders. The spiders are ok but I could do without the snake. Unfortunately it got away while I was trying to catch it so I guess I’ll be overwintering it too.

RE: Overwintering Pepper Plants For The First Time - Finspiracy - 10-16-2022

Snakes are damn scary! tinybighuh 

What kind of peppers do you have there? There are plenty of varieties to choose from. Do you have any super hot, chili type? I love to use them in cooking and make my eating a serious session of sweating and crying. They are extremely good for health also.

Just everyday black pepper is of course crucial in almost all cooking.

And mild bell peppers work really well in salads and on top of bread.

RE: Overwintering Pepper Plants For The First Time - VioletDove - 10-16-2022

(10-16-2022, 01:14 AM)Finspiracy Wrote: Snakes are damn scary! tinybighuh 

What kind of peppers do you have there? There are plenty of varieties to choose from. Do you have any super hot, chili type? I love to use them in cooking and make my eating a serious session of sweating and crying. They are extremely good for health also.

Just everyday black pepper is of course crucial in almost all cooking.

And mild bell peppers work really well in salads and on top of bread.

I grow all kinds of peppers. Scorpion, Ghost Peppers and Habanero are probably the hottest that I grow. I don’t eat them but my husband does.

I also have cayenne, jalapeño, bell, and banana peppers. Those are the ones that I like. I don’t like for my food to be too spicy. Just enough to add a little kick.

RE: Overwintering Pepper Plants For The First Time - Finspiracy - 10-16-2022

(10-16-2022, 01:25 AM)VioletDove Wrote: I grow all kinds of peppers. Scorpion, Ghost Peppers and Habanero are probably the hottest that I grow. I don’t eat them but my husband does.

I also have cayenne, jalapeño, bell, and banana peppers. Those are the ones that I like. I don’t like for my food to be too spicy. Just enough to add a little kick.

Wow! Lots of stuff there.
I think that you are fortunate due to having a place to grow all that. I find gardening work to be extremely therapeutic. smallawesome

RE: Overwintering Pepper Plants For The First Time - Sol - 10-16-2022

That is the one thing I miss about having moved into a condo. Gardening.
I could always garden inside but Frisky (my Pom) would most likely eat everything before they’re due. Bottomless pit, that dog.

tinylaughing

RE: Overwintering Pepper Plants For The First Time - VioletDove - 10-17-2022

(10-16-2022, 11:14 AM)Sol Wrote: That is the one thing I miss about having moved into a condo. Gardening.
I could always garden inside but Frisky (my Pom) would most likely eat everything before they’re due. Bottomless pit, that dog.

tinylaughing

Hahaha!!! Dogs...Luckily I have the greenhouse. I don’t dare try to grow anything in my house. One of mine rips open bags of potatoes almost as soon as I bring them in, steals one and tries to hide with it but the crunching always gives her away. 

My cats are bad too. I had a snake plant that was started years ago from one that my grandma had. The cats dug it up and it mostly died except for one leaf that I was fortunately able to propagate. I have it where they definitely can’t get to it.

RE: Overwintering Pepper Plants For The First Time - Snarl - 10-17-2022

Wife had one pepper plant in the garden this year. No idea where it came from, but it did well.

RE: Overwintering Pepper Plants For The First Time - VioletDove - 10-17-2022

(10-17-2022, 03:55 PM)Snarl Wrote: Wife had one pepper plant in the garden this year. No idea where it came from, but it did well.

I love when I get a surprise plant. A lot of times they do better than the ones I plant.

RE: Overwintering Pepper Plants For The First Time - VioletDove - 10-18-2022

Kind of tired lol.

What I haven’t put in the greenhouse I have covered up. My poor pepper plants look so sad without their leaves. Better for them to look sad though than for the frost to get them. I just hope I can keep them alive all winter.