Rogue-Nation3
Over A Decade Onwards ... We Remember SpaceBat! - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation3 (https://rogue-nation3.com)
+-- Forum: Rogue-Nation Foyer (https://rogue-nation3.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Rogue Guests Entrance (https://rogue-nation3.com/forum-3.html)
+---- Forum: The Lit Candle Hall (https://rogue-nation3.com/forum-4.html)
+---- Thread: Over A Decade Onwards ... We Remember SpaceBat! (/thread-5076.html)

Over A Decade Onwards ... We Remember SpaceBat! - OmegaLogos - 02-28-2020

Explanation: In a few weeks time it will be 11 years since SpaceBat flew into history and time immemorial ...

ST-119#Bat_stowaway

Quote:Bat stowaway
[Image: 220px-STS-119_bat.jpg]
Bat clinging to the External Tank.
During the countdown a bat was seen to be resting on the external tank.[22] What was originally believed to be a fruit bat was revealed to have been a free-tailed bat that clung onto the fuel tank during the launch. NASA observers had believed the bat would fly off once the shuttle started to launch, but it did not, and it was probably shaken off and incinerated by the rocket exhaust. A bat doctor, analyzing pictures, believed the bat had a broken wing which made it unable to fly off.

Personal Disclosure: R.I.P. SpaceBat!!! You aimed for the stars! Bravo! minusculebeercheers

RE: Over A Decade Onwards ... We Remember SpaceBat! - BIAD - 02-28-2020

RIP a brave and courageous mammal that flew higher than any other of its brethren.
In those final few seconds, SpaceBat joined a small league of true explorers and touched
the face of God.

RE: Over A Decade Onwards ... We Remember SpaceBat! - Ninurta - 07-02-2020

(02-28-2020, 07:04 AM)OmegaLogos Wrote: Explanation: In a few weeks time it will be 11 years since SpaceBat flew into history and time immemorial ...

ST-119#Bat_stowaway

During the countdown a bat was seen to be resting on the external tank.[22] What was originally believed to be a fruit bat was revealed to have been a free-tailed bat that clung onto the fuel tank during the launch. NASA observers had believed the bat would fly off once the shuttle started to launch, but it did not, and it was probably shaken off and incinerated by the rocket exhaust. A bat doctor, analyzing pictures, believed the bat had a broken wing which made it unable to fly off.

Personal Disclosure: R.I.P. SpaceBat!!! You aimed for the stars! Bravo! minusculebeercheers

"Bat doctor"? Specialized bat Doctors are really a thing?

RE: Over A Decade Onwards ... We Remember SpaceBat! - gordi - 07-02-2020

(07-02-2020, 07:10 AM)Ninurta Wrote: "Bat doctor"? Specialized bat Doctors are really a thing?

[Image: qzcwTxDPMF.png]

RE: Over A Decade Onwards ... We Remember SpaceBat! - F2d5thCav - 07-02-2020

Poor beast.  Animals are not adapted for our industrial activity.

I rescued one once from a cellar.  It had flown into webs and dust and was a messy ball on the floor.  At first, I thought it a large lump of dust, but when I tried to sweep it . . . it moved a small bit.

Got some gloves and brought it outside.  It grabbed onto a wall and rested.  Then I brought a bottle that could spray water and I began misting it.  I could tell from the irked reaction that it still had the will to live.

Cleaned of dust and rested, it later flew off.

[Image: IMG-2857.jpg]

Cheers

RE: Over A Decade Onwards ... We Remember SpaceBat! - OmegaLogos - 03-25-2021

Explanation: Just over 12 yrs on since SpaceBat flew into history as a legend ...

Personal Disclosure: We must never forget to be brave in the face of overwhelming adversity!

minusculebeercheers

RE: Over A Decade Onwards ... We Remember SpaceBat! - hounddoghowlie - 03-26-2021

(02-28-2020, 07:04 AM)OmegaLogos Wrote: Explanation: In a few weeks time it will be 11 years since SpaceBat flew into history and time immemorial ...

ST-119#Bat_stowaway

to boldly go where no bat has gone before

RE: Over A Decade Onwards ... We Remember SpaceBat! - Wallfire - 03-26-2021

(07-02-2020, 09:51 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: Poor beast.  Animals are not adapted for our industrial activity.

I rescued one once from a cellar.  It had flown into webs and dust and was a messy ball on the floor.  At first, I thought it a large lump of dust, but when I tried to sweep it . . . it moved a small bit.

Got some gloves and brought it outside.  It grabbed onto a wall and rested.  Then I brought a bottle that could spray water and I began misting it.  I could tell from the irked reaction that it still had the will to live.

Cleaned of dust and rested, it later flew off.

[Image: IMG-2857.jpg]

Cheers
So now we know who let COVID 19 free  minusculebonker

RE: Over A Decade Onwards ... We Remember SpaceBat! - F2d5thCav - 03-26-2021

@"Wallfire" 

You're welcome. tinybiggrin 

Cheers

RE: Over A Decade Onwards ... We Remember SpaceBat! - drussell41 - 03-26-2021

ST-119#Bat_stowaway

That poor bat.

RE: Over A Decade Onwards ... We Remember SpaceBat! - OmegaLogos - 03-19-2022

Explanation: Just over 13 yrs on since SpaceBat flew into history as a legend ...

Personal Disclosure: @ All RN3's New members ... We must never forget to be brave in the face of overwhelming adversity!

Please be brave in these trying arduous times.

P.S. Bumping this thread shamelessly due to the high traffic on RN3 today.

RIP Spacebat ... I for one will always your sacrifice to show us the way.

minusculebeercheers

RE: Over A Decade Onwards ... We Remember SpaceBat! - Vibekilla - 03-21-2022

Wow RIP! :(

RE: Over A Decade Onwards ... We Remember SpaceBat! - BIAD - 03-21-2022

(03-19-2022, 02:09 AM)OmegaLogos Wrote: Explanation: Just over 13 yrs on since SpaceBat flew into history as a legend ...

Personal Disclosure: @ All RN3's New members ... We must never forget to be brave in the face of overwhelming adversity!

Please be brave in these trying arduous times.

P.S. Bumping this thread shamelessly due to the high traffic on RN3 today.

RIP Spacebat ... I for one will always your sacrifice to show us the way.

minusculebeercheers

I concur with OmegaLogos, we must never forget the brave mammal who flew higher than its brethren and
witnessed sights that many of us (except Bezos) can only dream about. We should all emulate this little creature
during our own small lives and cling tightly to a tank of inflammable fuel when the opportunity arises.

minusculesoapbox

RE: Over A Decade Onwards ... We Remember SpaceBat! - WonderCow - 03-21-2022

Bloody Hell, where did those 13 years go?

R.I.P crispy fried space bat. RN3 salutes you. o7

ETA wow, 15 years now....