Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Today's Daily Pencil - 24 March
I don't know if any of you guys are really interested in any of this stuff (or if y'all are just humoring the strange dude), so if not just tell me and I'll stop putting these out.

If you are...well then...just have have a seat and stay tuned for today's edition of Today's Daily Pencil!  It'll only hurt for a minute, and then it will be all over, I promise!  We'll be back right after these messages from our sponsor (what??? we don't have a sponsor??  Oh!)

Ahem...Okay, as you may recall, in the last episode of TDP we featured a mechanical pencil which looked really cool, and had a lot of features, but had some serious design flaws.  On today's episode we are going to feature a pencil at the exact opposite end of the spectrum, a pencil which only looks cool to people who appreciate them, has very few features, but is bulletproof and completely without peer.  Ladies and gentlemen, please put your hands together for the one, the only, the "legend"...the Pentel P-205 0.5mm mechanical pencil !!!!
[Image: tOxfh9A.jpg]

Now many of you may recognize today's feature; when people say "mechanical pencil", this is the pencil most people think of.  The Pentel P-20x Series pencil was originally released in 1970 and the world just celebrated its 52nd Anniversary.  It is the longest running production mechanical pencil in history, and it has sold more copies than any other mechanical pencil.  It was one of the first truly "mechanical" pencils to be adopted by the Engineering, Science and Aerospace communities as an equal to mechanical lead holder type pencils in the technical drawing and mathematics world.  For many, the Pentel P-205 (which is the most popular version) took us through higher education and on into the professional work world.

The Series of this pencil is referred to as the P-200 series, and the last digit of 3, 5, 7 or 9 indicates the lead size in tenths of a millimeter.  So, for example, the P-205 is a 0.5mm lead, and the P-207 is a 0.7mm lead.  As a result the pencils are often referred to aas the Pentel P-20x series with the 'x' indicating a placeholder for the lead size.

The pencil is body is made of a high grade plastic, and the internal mechanism is made of solid brass.  The tip, eraser cap and clip are made from stainless steel.  The pencil has a tried and tested operating mechanism which is both patented and brilliantly simple.  The pencil is easily disassembled in the event of the rare lead jam and requires no special tools or parts.  The design is both simple and extremely durable.  Short of smashing one with a hammer, or running over it with your car, they are virtually indestructible.  They are weatherproof, they resist corrosion and exposure to the most hostile environments.  They will operate at any temperature from -100F to +140F, and have traveled to the most extreme environments on the planet, returning as good as new.

As for the pencils shown in today's feature, the black P-205 is probably on the order of nearly 25 years old, and has been used by yours truly all over the Globe from the jungles of SE Asia to the deserts of the Middle East to the mountains of Alaska and everywhere in between.  The Neon Green example is a special edition released in 2021 (and even as a special edition, it still only cost $7 bucks)

Despite the pencil's fame, the P-20x series pencil can be had for below $10 dollars in most markets and virtually any office supply store.

Recently, Pentel Corporation of Japan has signaled their intention to discontinue the fabled P-20x Series in favor of their next generation pencil, the Graph Gear 500 pencil (offered in the same size range as the P-20x).  Anyone interested in collecting mechanical pencils should act quickly to ensure they have a copy of this legendary pencil in their collections if they don't already.

Well folks, that's about it for today's edition of Today's Daily Pencil.  Make sure to tune in next time when we talk about why someone would ever need more than one type of mechanical pencil, and the benefits of both inexpensive and more expensive pencils.  Until then...Thanks for reading! 

See ya next time!
(03-25-2022, 04:51 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: I don't know if any of you guys are really interested in any of this stuff (or if y'all are just humoring the strange dude), so if not just tell me and I'll stop putting these out.

If you are...well then...just have have a seat and stay tuned for today's edition of Today's Daily Pencil!  It'll only hurt for a minute, and then it will be all over, I promise!  We'll be back right after these messages from our sponsor (what??? we don't have a sponsor??  Oh!)

Ahem...Okay, as you may recall, in the last episode of TDP we featured a mechanical pencil which looked really cool, and had a lot of features, but had some serious design flaws.  On today's episode we are going to feature a pencil at the exact opposite end of the spectrum, a pencil which only looks cool to people who appreciate them, has very few features, but is bulletproof and completely without peer.  Ladies and gentlemen, please put your hands together for the one, the only, the "legend"...the Pentel P-205 0.5mm mechanical pencil !!!!
[Image: tOxfh9A.jpg]

Now many of you may recognize today's feature; when people say "mechanical pencil", this is the pencil most people think of.  The Pentel P-20x Series pencil was originally released in 1970 and the world just celebrated its 52nd Anniversary.  It is the longest running production mechanical pencil in history, and it has sold more copies than any other mechanical pencil.  It was one of the first truly "mechanical" pencils to be adopted by the Engineering, Science and Aerospace communities as an equal to mechanical lead holder type pencils in the technical drawing and mathematics world.  For many, the Pentel P-205 (which is the most popular version) took us through higher education and on into the professional work world.

The Series of this pencil is referred to as the P-200 series, and the last digit of 3, 5, 7 or 9 indicates the lead size in tenths of a millimeter.  So, for example, the P-205 is a 0.5mm lead, and the P-207 is a 0.7mm lead.  As a result the pencils are often referred to aas the Pentel P-20x series with the 'x' indicating a placeholder for the lead size.

The pencil is body is made of a high grade plastic, and the internal mechanism is made of solid brass.  The tip, eraser cap and clip are made from stainless steel.  The pencil has a tried and tested operating mechanism which is both patented and brilliantly simple.  The pencil is easily disassembled in the event of the rare lead jam and requires no special tools or parts.  The design is both simple and extremely durable.  Short of smashing one with a hammer, or running over it with your car, they are virtually indestructible.  They are weatherproof, they resist corrosion and exposure to the most hostile environments.  They will operate at any temperature from -100F to +140F, and have traveled to the most extreme environments on the planet, returning as good as new.

As for the pencils shown in today's feature, the black P-205 is probably on the order of nearly 25 years old, and has been used by yours truly all over the Globe from the jungles of SE Asia to the deserts of the Middle East to the mountains of Alaska and everywhere in between.  The Neon Green example is a special edition released in 2021 (and even as a special edition, it still only cost $7 bucks)

Despite the pencil's fame, the P-20x series pencil can be had for below $10 dollars in most markets and virtually any office supply store.

Recently, Pentel Corporation of Japan has signaled their intention to discontinue the fabled P-20x Series in favor of their next generation pencil, the Graph Gear 500 pencil (offered in the same size range as the P-20x).  Anyone interested in collecting mechanical pencils should act quickly to ensure they have a copy of this legendary pencil in their collections if they don't already.

Well folks, that's about it for today's edition of Today's Daily Pencil.  Make sure to tune in next time when we talk about why someone would ever need more than one type of mechanical pencil, and the benefits of both inexpensive and more expensive pencils.  Until then...Thanks for reading! 

See ya next time!

I had something similar but all my possessions were destroyed in the bush fires including my pens and pencils.  So hot, everything metal melted and of course timber burnt.

After reading your posts I now really appreciate what I had collected.  Could not do it again, including stamps and coins.  All lost.  Wish I had cataloged the lot and maybe the insurance payout would have covered the collections.  A lot of the pens and metal pencils were memorable presentations to me and dissolved along with the art, musical instruments and other heritage possessions. 

I've resurrected collecting including pens and pencils and your posts with pics give me an insight to what I need to keep an eye out for.  Going on a trip soon so next visits to second hand shops, thrift shops and/or pawn shops I'll use your pics to value the pens and pencils.

Thank you,

Cheers, Bally:)

Bally:)
That is closer to what I think of when I think of mechanical pencils. I never thought about the number being the lead size on those, I learned something new. 

I’ve never bought one before because I always grab whatever is cheapest. Strangely, I’m now sitting here thinking I may look for one of those next time I’m out shopping. Although  I’m afraid it looks like a gateway pencil and will lead me down the path of pencil addiction. I could end up hawking my jewelry then hitting up everywhere from high end shops to yard sales just to try to get my pencil fix.

I’m enjoying these threads. You have a way with words that can make pencils sound interesting.
(03-25-2022, 04:51 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: I don't know if any of you guys are really interested in any of this stuff (or if y'all are just humoring the strange dude), so if not just tell me and I'll stop putting these out.

Always a welcome distraction!!
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(03-25-2022, 01:22 PM)VioletDove Wrote: ...

I’m enjoying these threads. You have a way with words that can make pencils sound interesting.

I'm thinking of getting into Used Car Sales for a career path when I grow up. 

So, you think I might have a shot at it then, eh??  :-)
(03-25-2022, 05:55 PM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote:

I’d say you’re almost there.
(03-25-2022, 06:08 PM)VioletDove Wrote:
(03-25-2022, 05:55 PM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote:

I’d say you’re almost there.

You know, just today I learned the difference between "just plain boring", and "tragically boring".

Yep!  Prior to today, I never even knew there was a such thing as..."just plain boring"!

<Ba-Dum...Tish>
tinylaughing

I guess depending on how you look at it. Plain boring could be worse.
Like any hobby, it's fascinating to some and a sleep aid to another.
I have a few other hobbies that, although exciting to me, tend to elicit extraordinarily bored reactions in many of my peers. 
I've been waiting anxiously for another one of your daily pencil threads--the history and technical detail you give for each of the pencils is fascinating and as a fellow writing-utensil nerd I enjoy it a bunch!! Keep them up!
I will soon be the proud owner of some P-205s myself. I had them before but guests, as I have said before, loved to "borrow" them.
Don't let your friends steal your pens/pencils!
They may be worth something someday.
Maybe exclusing the cheap Bics... as they say, you never own anything made by Bic tinylaughing