Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Someone who thinks they know Putin
Interesting discussion about Russia and Putin from someone who grew up in Russia.
Sanctions which sound good on the evening news or from a White House briefing blurb seem to be mostly propaganda and have very little substance. Everything from purchasing Russian oil/no embargo on oil and gas which funds a good chuck of everything in Russia . The much touted Swift banking system which was going to really impact Russia...forget it only 7 banks out of 300 were affected..  If people were not dying it might be something less serious but people are dying who had homes and families until Russia decided it wanted their stuff and land ! Typical for all war lords and tyrants throughout history. 

To me Putin is not genius , Russia is getting economically hit now and why ? Because Putin wanted war.  Russian war machine look`s also not so good.

EU pulls plug on Putin and vows to cut ALL 'Russian gas and oil' over Ukraine crisis

These companies have boycotted Russia so far

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10799]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-08-2022, 07:21 AM)727Sky Wrote:

That 40 mile convoy heading to Kiev has no armor. It has bern analysed as a mere supply convoy for "something else". I could say some things about that, but I won't. Who the hell would listen to my old decrepit ass anyhow?

The sanctions are useless. Not only are they not affecting the Russian economy on their own, but now China has entered the fray to mitigate them. What does Putin care if the EU doesn't buy his energy? China will take all he can produce, and still want more.

I think what will determine the outcome of this action, for Ukraine anyhow, is whether or not it enters a guerrilla phase. In a guerrilla phase, Russia has to eradicate the guerrillas to win, All the guerrillas have to do to win is survive.

Good thing I ain't running this war. if I was, I would evacuate everyone from the first kilometer of Kiev, destroy every building in that kilometer band, and then erase anything I saw moving within that kilometer afterwards. Folks in Kiev would not like me after that, but if they moved like I told them to, it would at least be relatively safe for them.

I would also try to set up something like the Berlin Airlift for Kiev. Just replace Berlin with Kiev for modern usage.

Fuck a damn democracy. How about, for once, allowing the folks that own that land, whether Russia or Ukraine, to determine who and what rules over them? Is there really a problem with that in the minds of a free people?

"Block" the streets leading to the power plants? Whatever happened to the old tried and true cratering charges for disrupting road travel? so Ukraine will give civilians assault rifles, but they balk at giving them real live explosives? Don't like their civilians much, do they? Get that armor off the hard top and into the mud. See how that goes for them.

Gentlemen, be careful that you don't touch cannon tips while your jacking your guns.

Fuck destroying vehicles, Destroy their ability to move, and mire them up in untenable terrain.

Why is there a clear lane through the tank traps in Odessa? Stagger that shit, ya mo-rons!

But seriously - if you're going to try to fight an invading army, then do it like you mean it. Otherwise, stay the hell home and just hang out a white flag.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(03-07-2022, 08:40 AM)727Sky Wrote: Interesting discussion about Russia and Putin from someone who grew up in Russia.

I agree with her that Putin is not crazy. He is simply cold and calculating. His idea of acceptable cost is far different than mine or anybody I know. 

Maybe I need to read her book to understand the recipe that produces Ivan the Terrible, Stalin, and Putin. My guess is it has something to do with the culture. 

After all my time in the ME, I came to understand why so many "Strong Men" are in power in that part of the world at least. It's cultural. Weak men (or perceived weak men) are not seen as a good thing. They cannot protect the "family". They can't keep a lid on things. The trains don't run on time. I am not condoning all that befalls a nation for having such a person at the helm. Just an observation. 

What's that saying though? If you think strong people are dangerous, wait until you see how dangerous weak people can be.
(03-10-2022, 10:23 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: I agree with her that Putin is not crazy. He is simply cold and calculating. His idea of acceptable cost is far different than mine or anybody I know. 

Maybe I need to read her book to understand the recipe that produces Ivan the Terrible, Stalin, and Putin. My guess is it has something to do with the culture. 

After all my time in the ME, I came to understand why so many "Strong Men" are in power in that part of the world at least. It's cultural. Weak men (or perceived weak men) are not seen as a good thing. They cannot protect the "family". They can't keep a lid on things. The trains don't run on time. I am not condoning all that befalls a nation for having such a person at the helm. Just an observation. 

What's that saying though? If you think strong people are dangerous, wait until you see how dangerous weak people can be.

I agree that weak people are far more dangerous. They are sneaking and conniving, and so will sucker punch you, they always feel like they have something to prove to the world to show they AREN'T weak, and that makes them belligerent. And finally, their belligerence invites attention form folks who really can clean your clock, and who instinctively know how weak they really are.

Scary time to be alive for folks caught in the middle.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’