Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NYC PSA
(07-14-2022, 08:35 PM)ChiefD Wrote: Very bizarre PSA. WTF? I wonder at the timing of this. Do they know something the rest of us riff raff don't? I'm just paranoid enough to wonder what may be coming down the pike. I just find the whole thing weird. And what she says at the end - "You got this". Just wow. I'd almost think it's satire if it weren't NYC putting it out. 

Do they really think anything would be working at all after a nuclear blast? It would literally destroy buildings. You aren't safe anywhere if you're at ground zero. As if the electrical grid and running water would work, yeah right. They say to tune in to whatever. It would all be gone! If the electrical grid is kaput, there sure as hell ain't gonna be any wifi. Yeah, if you're right at the blast, you're as good as dead. If the blast didn't kill you right away, within hours or days, the fallout would. 

Here are my three steps:

1.) If you have any booze/weed/your drug of choice intact after the blast, drink, smoke, snort it all up, may as well feel good before dying of radiation poisoning. 
2.) While doing the above, try and reminisce about past things that made you happy. 
3.) Bend over and kiss your ass goodbye, because you'll be dead in a short time.

I took it to mean a "dirty bomb" when I first saw it - a dirty bomb where blast effects are only secondary, contamination is the primary goal. I didn't make the "Russia gonna kill us all" connection until other folks started making it. I doubt Russia would nuke NY, because Putin knows that Moscow and St. Petersburg among others would get instantly erased from my planet, and he can't afford to piss off his own people that bad.

Funny think about nukes - they have a variety of effects, and blast damage is not the worst of those. The buildings directly under Ground Zero at Hiroshima were all left standing, just eerily silent. There was no firestorm at Nagasaki.

If a bomb is detonated at the optimal height to create the most damage, there is little or no fallout produced, because it is too far above the ground. The fireball has to touch the ground and vaporize dirt, buildings, people, pets, and trees in order to produce the ash that carries fallout.

although fallout patterns are subject to the whims of the wind, prevailing winds blow eastward, and most of the fallout from New York would be deposited in the ocean. Fallout to humans on the ground would be negligible or absent.

Fallout from nuclear bombs dies pretty quickly, and it would most likely be relatively safe to re-emerge from shelter after about two weeks, even in most "fallout zones".

Some fallout particles are longer lived than others, like strontium-90. That could make dairy products from cattle in fallout zones iffy for a few decades.

You can make a home-made radiation meter from a mayonnaise jar and two strips of tinfoil.

There are just an awful lot of variables to account for, and every blast is different. There is no certainty of death or even of fallout sickness.

Living in the aftermath would be worse for most people, especially city-denizens, than dying in the blast.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
NYC PSA - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 07-14-2022, 03:57 AM
RE: NYC PSA - by Jinmi - 07-14-2022, 04:01 AM
RE: NYC PSA - by MisterSpock - 07-14-2022, 04:47 AM
RE: NYC PSA - by kdog - 07-14-2022, 06:49 AM
RE: NYC PSA - by Ninurta - 07-14-2022, 08:37 AM
RE: NYC PSA - by Snarl - 07-14-2022, 11:50 AM
RE: NYC PSA - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 07-14-2022, 12:17 PM
RE: NYC PSA - by ChiefD - 07-14-2022, 08:35 PM
RE: NYC PSA - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 07-14-2022, 10:33 PM
RE: NYC PSA - by Ninurta - 07-16-2022, 12:40 AM
RE: NYC PSA - by Ninurta - 07-16-2022, 12:35 AM