Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Quakes Close to Columbia, SC
The difference between earthquakes being common and people commonly feeling those earthquakes is a pretty wide gap. Earthquakes are pretty common here, but no one hardly ever feels them. I have a fault line running directly below my house, which is a little worrisome because I also have a coal mine running directly beneath my house, and a good hard shake might collapse the mine and drop my house into the resulting sinkhole. The mine already destroyed my well by cutting the bottom out of it during mining operations, resulting in a hollow tube that no longer holds water.

While I live directly above a fault line, and while earthquakes are fairly common, I have only ever felt ONE earthquake here - and it wasn't very strong, just barely perceptible to sensitive folks.

I've also noticed your location seems to determine whether you feel an earthquake or not. When the east coast quake hit in 2012 (I think, but it may have been 2011) I was a couple hundred miles from the epicenter, but we felt it. My missus at the time ran into the living room where I was snoozing on the sofa all panicky asking "what is that?/", and I just opened one eye and said "relax, it's just an earthquake" and went back to sleep. It was noticeable because we were indoors. People in the same general area at that time told me they felt nothing, and I noticed that all those folks who felt nothing were outdoors. Same quake, different experiences of it depending on whether you were indoors or outdoors.

In the early 1990's, and earthquake struck here in this area where I live now that was felt all the way to north-central NC, where I was living at the time. I was at work on a warehouse loading dock as the dock foreman, and did not feel the quake as I was outdoors, but I did notice that all the vehicles backed up to the dock rocked a little bit forward and then back to their original position, which was curious to me because I did not feel anything. When I got home that evening, the news had a report of the quake, and that explained it to me.

Bottom line, there are places where earthquakes are fairly common, and no one but the seismologists ever know that they are happening.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
Quakes Close to Columbia, SC - by kdog - 06-30-2022, 09:57 AM
RE: Quakes Close to Columbia, SC - by Snarl - 06-30-2022, 02:06 PM
RE: Quakes Close to Columbia, SC - by Ninurta - 06-30-2022, 06:46 PM
RE: Quakes Close to Columbia, SC - by Snarl - 07-03-2022, 02:05 PM