Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
When the sun does the big one
(06-23-2022, 09:03 AM)Bally002 Wrote: Read your post with much interest  Call me a prepper if you want but I'm not engaged in that mindset it takes up my whole lifestyle  

We couldn't care less if some solar event took out the grid  I have all I need here for a considerable time

No one will come calling for us to stack bodies as I've assured survival here

Simple learning and honing survival skills (helped me during the worst of the firestorm that hit our selection a couple of years back and more recently the flooding) we were still here without power or the namby pamby necessities while others sold up and left 

We are lucky we have a decent selection in the hills

(Sorry I can't place a full stop)

Our kind regards,

Bally, True Love and animals  :)

Nah, I won't call you a prepper. That sounds like country living to me, not really what they call a "prepper" these days. Country folks are sort of "preppers" as a way of life. They gather their resources and preserve and store them for use, year after year, not really as a means of surviving a disaster, but rather as a way of life.

I'm not a prepper, either. I have some ammo stockpiles - not enough, but some - and have some beans and rice and peanut butter and the like laid back for hard times, but nothing like the stockpile a prepper amasses. I have some military equipment stored up, but that wasn't acquired with an eye to prepping for anything, either. It's just leftovers that I retained after this or that job was done. Some kevlar here, some web gear there, maybe a gas mask or two, nothing heavyweight like grenades or rockets.

I've lived without electricity for fairly long periods of time, growing up. Nowadays, I've got no farm animals to sustain me like we had then, nor do I have a woodstove. We have two chimneys, but no woodstoves since granny and gramps "modernized" this place, and to be honest I dunno if the chimneys are even serviceable now, or whether birds or bees may have well and truly gummed them up. Gas heat, but that won't last past what is in the tank in the event of major troubles, if it works at all in the absence of electricity. For all I know, the thermostat in it probably has to have electricity to open the valves. So we are not likely to make it past the first winter anyhow. Why stockpile a bunch of crap you'd never live to use?

The woods will provide the meat, and that together with the beans and rice guarantee that we can at least freeze to death in comfort, with full bellies.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
When the sun does the big one - by 727Sky - 06-23-2022, 05:57 AM
RE: When the sun does the big one - by Ninurta - 06-23-2022, 06:25 AM
RE: When the sun does the big one - by Bally002 - 06-23-2022, 09:03 AM
RE: When the sun does the big one - by guohua - 06-23-2022, 04:38 PM
RE: When the sun does the big one - by Ninurta - 06-23-2022, 05:22 PM
RE: When the sun does the big one - by Ninurta - 06-23-2022, 04:59 PM
RE: When the sun does the big one - by ABNARTY - 06-23-2022, 05:36 PM
RE: When the sun does the big one - by ChiefD - 06-23-2022, 10:02 PM