Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
They are burning our food distribution supply
(04-22-2022, 11:10 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: Our government and big business will capitalize on our suffering and will come to the rescue.
SOS will likely be real sh!T, and Soylent Green may be rationed out daily. But our government will be there to keep those alive that they choose, taking their last pennies, and making sure we are there to pay them homage for their great generosity.

Ir probably ought to concern me that I've eaten a fair number of menu items mentioned in that video, and I never lived through the Depression. Hell, I STILL eat SOS. Dad was big on it, not from the Depression but from his army days.

Dad used to whip up a batch of stuff disturbingly similar to that "Milkorno" mentioned, but he called it corn meal mush. If there is any left over, you can slice it into strips after it sets, and fry it in bacon grease or lard for another meal later.

I've mentioned my eating of "spring greens" elsewhere, dandelions among them, but you gotta get those suckers young, because they get bitter as hell in their old age. Interestingly, dandelions are related to wild lettuce, from which "lettuce opium" is made for pain relief.

I've seen him make syrup when we were out of syrup and no way to get to town to get more for the snow. He made it out of sugar, water, and vanilla flavoring, and it wasn't too bad.

"Dumplings" - I've eaten them cooked in everything from navy beans to blackberries, but they weren't traditional dumplings - you'd cook up the base, then mix flour and milk to form a loose dough like drop biscuits, but instead of baking it, you just dropped globs of it into the soup and beans or whatever, and it cooked up in balls.

Corn meal fry bread - corn meal, milk, water, an egg if you're adventurous, and whatever else was handy to fill it out - onions, crumbled bacon left over from breakfast, just whatever you had, and fry it in a skillet until it browns. They looked like pancakes, if pancakes were made out of cornmeal and whatever was handy. "Fritters" were similar, but made from flour instead of corn meal, and potato cakes were also similar, but made of left over mashed potatoes.

Poke weed  - it cooked up like cooked spinach, but you had to cook it and pour the water off several times, adding fresh water each time, to get the poisonous bits out. Then you took those boiled greens and fried them in a mash with corn meal and an egg scrambled it.

Craw dads - I'd catch them out of the creek and boil them up in salted water. They'd turn bright red just like a bitty little lobster, but the only part I ate of them was the tail. Tasted a lot like lobster, too.

Squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, etc - you just clean 'em and cook 'em like any small game. Snakes are special - you can hang 'em and once you get the skin started, just peel it down like a sleeve being peeled off of an arm. Cut it into sections to cook, and mind the bones when you're eating it.

Deer and goats - I always preferred them ground into hamburger, but you have to add grease when you're frying them, because they are naturally lean.

"Dry land fish" - known to some as "morels", a type of mushroom. We'd collect them and slice them longways, then fry 'em in butter with some corn meal.

Eat whatever you can that don't eat you first - surviving is not for the squeamish.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: They are burning our food distribution supply - by Ninurta - 04-25-2022, 06:24 AM