Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Have You Seen This
@"NightskyeB4Dawn" - You captured everything most people need to hear in the 5th word of your 2nd paragraph.  The word is "Victim".

Society, and many parents in particular, have allowed themselves to believe they are "Victims", that they have no control over their destiny and future.  This "victim mentality" will almost certainly creep into the minds of their children until they believe the same thing; they are "victims".

It's funny (not really, sad really) what you describe in your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs.  I was actually going to cite a similar story, almost identical in fact, which I experienced recently.  Because of my love of writing instruments and stationery, I am a member of a Reddit community about journaling which I was asked to participate in to assist others in the seemingly mundane task of matching writing instruments and inks to paper types, as well as writing styles, etc.  As a by product of this involvement I have the misfortune of seeing what some people write in their journals (not something I particularly relish, frankly, contrary to what some likely think).  This community is populated mostly by younger people, generally in the same age range as you cite above.  One individual in particular recently was seeking some advice on a myriad of topics such as what 'person' to write in, as well as what binding types and inks to use for long-term preservation and storage.  The example this person used to highlight their dilemma just happened to be about their job and work life.  What they wrote, coupled with the responses from numerous others in their same age group, was a real shocker.

Their subject, without being too revealing, was about what an imposition on their life their boss was, and what a jackass he was for asking that this person work more than 30 hours per week and/or at times before 11am or after 4pm.  This person was not a student or otherwise engaged in another activity, they just felt like their employer was being completely unreasonable to expect they would dedicate this much of their precious time to working.  If it would have just ended there, I would have been shaking my head, but it went on to list a great big long list of conditions this individual felt were minimum criteria, including salaries, for their employer, both current or future, to meet in order for them to be satisfied and/or happy.  This was all based on consensus with this person's many friends and social interactions, and was further supported by literally hundreds of responses on Reddit.  To say I was shocked is the understatement of the year!  I was floored!

It would have been one thing if this was just isolated to one person's misinformed and misguided view of the World in which we live, but it clearly wasn't.  This person's mindset was clearly based on an almost universal social "bar" which was unacceptable to go below with their peer groups.  WOW!

I couldn't help but think back to when I was first starting out, working 80-90 hours a week (and yes, making good OT money while doing it).  I wasn't making a big hourly wage, but I knew I had to work however many hours it took to support the lifestyle I wished to live at that time in my life.  But this isn't about me, other than to serve as a basis for comparison.  This person's view was, from my perspective, completely detached from reality.  The wage expectations alone were so far misaligned with what employers will be willing to pay it was almost laughable (no, it WAS laughable!).  Worse, was their ultimatums.  Their threat, their alternative, to "punish" employers who believed otherwise was to...just NOT work, to continue to live under their parent's roof, paid for by their parents, and to continue to eat food provided by their parents, to get money from their parents and basically to continue being a bottom feeder.  This, was supposed to teach their employer, and all future potential employers, a "lesson" in what is acceptable and what is not.

It is difficult for me to even find or select the proper words to describe my dismay that such a creature could even exist at all and still continue to breathe the same air I do.  Let me be clear here; that statement is not intended to be an observation of my opinion of their value to society, but rather that anyone could live in a world which would train them to believe such things, and then actually reinforce those beliefs from all angles (i.e. above, below and from the sides in the form of peers, parents, educators and society in general).

That, to me, speaks volumes and volumes about the society parents are allowing to be created today.  And, if they allow it to continue, there will come a time when they will no longer be able to correct these behaviors and beliefs.  In the case of the one individual I referenced above, I fear it is too late.  I don't know how old this person was, but from their writing style, and the experiences they listed, I would have guessed they were in their mid-twenties if not older.  Parents, who have a child with beliefs like those at that age, have failed.  Just my opinion though.

Again, my .02, FWIW.

Messages In This Thread
Have You Seen This - by hounddoghowlie - 04-09-2022, 02:26 AM
RE: Have You Seen This - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 04-09-2022, 03:33 AM
RE: Have You Seen This - by DontTreadOnMe - 04-09-2022, 04:18 AM
RE: Have You Seen This - by FlyingClayDisk - 04-09-2022, 08:01 AM
RE: Have You Seen This - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 04-09-2022, 03:41 PM
RE: Have You Seen This - by guohua - 04-09-2022, 04:32 PM
RE: Have You Seen This - by hounddoghowlie - 04-09-2022, 05:13 AM
RE: Have You Seen This - by DontTreadOnMe - 04-09-2022, 04:19 AM
RE: Have You Seen This - by hounddoghowlie - 04-09-2022, 05:21 AM
RE: Have You Seen This - by FlyingClayDisk - 04-09-2022, 04:30 PM