Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Report: Parler Suffers Massive User Data Leak
If this is true, it just adds to the truth that we are in a very dark place

Quote:[/url]
[url=https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2021/01/11/report-parler-suffers-massive-user-data-leak/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=daily&utm_campaign=20210111#][Image: e27393_coalition-israeli-diplomats-progr...40x480.jpg]JACK GUEZ/AFP
LUCAS NOLAN
11 Jan 20210

2:37

Recent reports claim that 70 terabytes of user data from social media network Parler have been leaked online.
CyberNews reports that self-drscribed security researchers performed a massive data scrape of the social media network Parler before it was taken offline by Amazon Web Services. The data scrape captured user profile data, user information, and other private and administrative information.
A Twitter user going by @donk_enby announced the scrape, claiming that over a million video URLs had been collected. Twitter itself suffered a massive hack of prominent accounts in 2020.

The Twitter account claims that the posts are linked to accounts that posted them and some of the video and images contain location information. It’s also said to include data from Parler’s “Verified Citizens,” which are users of the network who have verified their identity by uploading photographs of government-issued IDs such as a driver’s license or passport.
The data scrape also appeared to include deleted posts which would mean that Parler kept user data after users attempted to delete it.

Parler has previously claimed to have over 10 million users but was shut down after google and Apple removed the website’s smartphone apps from their app stores. A short time later, Amazon Web Services announced they would be removing the site’s hosting services, alleging that Parler failed to properly moderate its platform.
Some Reddit users allege that the user data scrape was made possible due to Twilio, an American cloud communications platform that provided Parelr with a phone number verification service and has since cut ties with the company.
In a press release announcing plans to cut ties with the platform, Twilio revealed which services Parler was using which allowed hackers to determine that it was possible to create users and verified accounts without actual verification.
Once the was discovered, they were allegedly able to get behind the login box API that is used for content delivery, allowing them to see which user shad moderator rights and in turn allowing them to reset passwords of existing users. As Twilio was no longer authenticating emails, hackers were able to access admin accounts easily.
Breitbart News has reached out to Parler for comment on this story.
link
WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH, THE EU IS FATHER AND MOTHER / FEAR NOT DEATH, BUT FEAR THE WAY YOU WILL DIE
I think you are correct. A dark place indeed.

All kinds of bad, evil stuff on the internet but what does Big Tech go after? Dissenting opinions. Figures. 

My guess is BT is simply contracting out to the IC and Swamp Critters to do what they cannot legally do. And then hide behind "private company".
(01-12-2021, 08:41 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: I think you are correct. A dark place indeed.

All kinds of bad, evil stuff on the internet but what does Big Tech go after? Dissenting opinions. Figures. 

My guess is BT is simply contracting out to the IC and Swamp Critters to do what they cannot legally do. And then hide behind "private company".

I'm betting dollars against donuts you are correct.

Some years ago, I was an armed guard. A police agency approached me with a job offer, because of my background and then current situation as a private gun for hire. I asked them why they would want to pay me to ride along with their officers, and they responded that their sworn officers had powers that I did not have as a private citizen, but that, also because I was a private citizen, I could "get away with" things their officers could not legally do. I told them that was the very definition of fascism, a public-private partnership in the best of the Mussolini tradition, and turned them down.

So it does happen... and other folks will not have turned them down.

I'm willing to die to defend my freedom. The question you need to be asking yourself is: are you willing to die to take it?

"It's the hillbilly way. We kill people and burn their shit down." -- Jim Powell, in "Blood and Banjos" by Franklin Horton

The insistence on giving them a cell phone number is exactly why I never got a Parler account. It now appears that actually saved me from this particular data breach.

See, with a decent password, and e-mail account is harder to hack than a phone number is to spoof for verifications. I'll bet a large pile of macaroons that is how they changed the Admin passwords - by spoofing an associated phone number, and then simply verifying when the text came to their spoofed phone.

I'm willing to die to defend my freedom. The question you need to be asking yourself is: are you willing to die to take it?

"It's the hillbilly way. We kill people and burn their shit down." -- Jim Powell, in "Blood and Banjos" by Franklin Horton

(01-12-2021, 08:41 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: My guess is BT is simply contracting out to the IC and Swamp Critters to do what they cannot legally do. And then hide behind "private company".

Been the MO for decades now.  And the ICs are sharing everything with 'favored' nations who are sharing it back ("Confirmed By Multiple Sources").

If you have to take some place out, the best way to do it is with fire.  It's cheap and it's effective.  Roll in old tires and get 'em burning.  They're near impossible to put out and the stink keeps people away.
'Cause if they catch you in the backseat tryin'ta pick her locks
They're gonna send you home to momma in a cardboard box
You better run!!
(01-12-2021, 09:33 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 08:41 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: I think you are correct. A dark place indeed.

I'm betting dollars against donuts you are correct.

Some years ago, I was an armed guard. A police agency approached me with a job offer, because of my background and then current situation as a private gun for hire. I asked them why they would want to pay me to ride along with their officers, and they responded that their sworn officers had powers that I did not have as a private citizen, but that, also because I was a private citizen, I could "get away with" things their officers could not legally do. I told them that was the very definition of fascism, a public-private partnership in the best of the Mussolini tradition, and turned them down.

So it does happen... and other folks will not have turned them down.

Turning it down sounds like the smart move. You could have been set up as the patsy so easy in those circumstances. Pretty scary.