Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Yes, I can agree that Enoch built the Great
(09-24-2020, 02:48 PM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: I'll be saving this video to watch later. I have always been interested in the books that were removed or omitted from the bible. Enoch travelling through space and Solomon conjuring and controlling demons are so much more interesting than "so and so begat so and so". 

The Catholic church took out anything that cast doubts upon the narrative they worked so hard to shape and mankind is poorer for it. All they care about is trying to keep control. But there are also books of the bible that the Catholic church uses that other denominations do not. As a child I never knew that other Christian sects did not use the Book of Tobin in their teachings for example.

Years ago I was gifted a book called The Lost Books of the Bible which supposedly included books that were removed that told of those years of Jesus' life that were missing from the bible we have today. I had just started delving into it when my ex took it away from me and burned it in front of me and the kids because he thought it was "of the devil". What a waste! 

Yeah, the other denominations gathered all of the "apocrypha" into a single place in the bible, between the Old and New Testaments. Over time, they have fallen out, generally, although I believe you can still get bibles printed with them bound between the testaments.

Most Protestants don't even know that the King James bible originally included the Apocrypha bound between the testaments. Later, they were taken out of that place and printed as a separate volume, and now the KJV Apocrypha are hard to find at all.

The founders of the Protestant Reformation stated that the Apocrypha was good as reading material for education, but were not canonical. Therefore, Tobit, the additions to Daniel like Bel and the Dragon, all of the Maccabbees books (there can be two to four of them, depending on the tradition) etc. were retained, but separated from the text of the Old and New Testaments.

My first wife worked at an Antiquarian bookstore, and I found a separate bound version of the KJV Apocrypha there. it also had a few old bibles from the early 1800's that still had the apocrypha bound in between the testaments, but I think it was about that time that they started separating them out. I have a 1560 edition of the Geneva Bible here that still has them bound in the middle. It has 13 books of the Apocrypha, only having 2 books of Maccabbes instead of 4. I think the other two are there, but under different names. The Apocrypha in it are: 1 and 2 Esdras, Tobit, Judith, The Rest of Esther, Wisdom (of Solomon), Ecclisiasticus (different from Ecclisiates), Baruch and the Epistle of Jeremiah, The Song of the 3 Children (an addition to Daniel), Bel and the Dragon (another addition to Daniel), The Story of Susannah (yet another addition to Daniel) and 1 and 2 Maccabbees.

The other books you mentioned are Pseudepigrapha, to distinguish them from Apocrypha. Pseudepigrapha were never included in the Bible to begin with, in contrast to the Apocrypha, which were.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: Yes, I can agree that Enoch built the Great - by Ninurta - 09-24-2020, 03:52 PM