Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Afghanistan: An Individual Soldier's Perspective Parts I - III
I had completed so many missions with ANA special forces as well as their coalition partner forces (USSOF teams, SAS, Lithuanians, Australians, Italians, etc.) and had gained a lot of respect for them. I wrote PART II a few months after a firefight in Tarin Kowt we were in and the ANA soldiers there took the fight to the enemy and defended their base right alongside the Australian SF units I was there to support.

I went on several air assault missions against the Taliban with ANA commandos who were every bit as professional as the SAS who trained them.

Long story short, I got to know the ANA both their conventional forces stuck on guard duty the same as me and the special operators taking the fight to the enemy - coming out of the sky like dirty and tough as # valkyries.

I understand now that my experiences with the ANA were not typical. Most ANA units are disjointed garbage units filled jihadists and undisciplined people.

But the ones I was with were generally pretty solid.

It is very clear how deeply my perspective has had to change over time for me to have gotten to this point.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Afghanistan: An Individual Soldier's Perspective Parts I - III - by projectvxn - 09-14-2020, 09:50 PM