Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Afghanistan: An Individual Soldier's Perspective Parts I - III
This thread originally appeared on Above Top Secret in August of 2013. Reposted here due to the addition of Part III. Parts I and II were written while I was deployed to combat in Afghanistan.

Quote:And he is going to enforce what they tell him to enforce, and if a freedom fighter gets in the way.

He is simply going to kill him or her.
PART I

Many of you know that I am currently deployed to Afghanistan. I want to share something with you that I went throughout here very recently, if for no other reason than to understand my perspective, irrespective of one's feelings on the political and social implications of the war. This isn't a commentary on that. It is simply my experience. If you wish to opine on the political issues of this war, be my guest. If you wish to rail against me, by all means, do so. But know this, until you've had to do what I have, don't pretend to understand, or be able to second guess my perspective on things. The quote above is from a former member, I remembered this post in particular because I've heard so much garbage like this on ATS before. This is sort of a response to that post. At the very least, you'll have my view of this on record:

My second mission was a medevac chase mission. My helicopter is responsible for protecting the medevac bird from enemy action.

The call came in and we rushed to the bird. We were up on comms and taking off on the mission when the details came in:

"Patient is pediatric". I thought...OMG, they hit a kid?

"Be advised patient is a 6-month-old infant."

That's when my heart sank. I couldn't believe it. IED hit a civilian vehicle wounding this little girl to the point where she had damage to her face from shrapnel and had her leg severely damaged in the blast, which led to it being amputated. It was a remotely detonated device. Meaning someone had control of it and knew what they were doing. Probably using civilian casualties to try to draw ground guys into secondary devices, but that is speculation on my part.

She survived. She could have easily died.

The "Freedom fighters" are anything but. I don't expect anyone to agree with the war. Hell, there's hardly any support for the war to continue among troops themselves. No one wants to be in this crap hole country.

But at the end of the day, the people we are fighting are NOT the good guys. They are NOT freedom fighters. They are murderers and terrorists and fucking child-killing monsters. They are tyrants who brutally subjugate women-denying them jobs, education, and any sense of self-worth.

The post quoted above admonishes the notion of a soldier killing this enemy. The Taliban.
I admonish the sentiment of the post entirely. I do not hold a reservation for them. I have no respect for them as a fighting force. They are without honor. Killing them would not disturb my sleep in the slightest.

There you have it. My perspective as I understand it. From my own experience. Make of it what you will.

Messages In This Thread
Afghanistan: An Individual Soldier's Perspective Parts I - III - by projectvxn - 09-14-2020, 09:30 PM